What Is A "couture" Cake?

Decorating By Alexsmommee Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 4:24pm by QTCakes1

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:54pm
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I have a lot of respect for Sylvia because she doesn't use fondant.

So are you saying you don't have much respect for people who use fondant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Cahill

In my opinion, a lot of so-called "couture" cakes are basically cakes which have been done a zillion times over in variations. Ribbon, bling, a well-placed ginormous flower, etc. I mean for God's sake, how many different ways can you wrap and drape fondant and put bows, brooches, flowers, and ribbon? It has all been done before, with some more beautifully executed than others.

Wow, you must really hate fondant! If you look at it that way, the same can be said about buttercream. Done a zillion times over so whats the difference? Just curious why you made such a statement.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:04pm
post #32 of 61

I believe Annie's point was that it's much more difficult to design a beautiful, clean-looking cake without draping it in fondant, and she respects Sylvia because she can do it.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #33 of 61

I don't have any issues with people who use fondant. But there seems to be less and less of the buttercream decorators out there (meaning big names).

I don't hate fondant at all. I have used it a lot for accent decorations when I think it's necessary.

My point was that all of the self-proclaimed "couture cake artists" that I have seen have done designs that I have seen time and time again. So I guess I'm wondering what makes that so special? Sure the same can be said for buttercream, but I haven't seen any buttercream decorators out there giving themselves that title.

There are actually several people whose fondant designs I admire. The Caketress (think her name is Lori) does beautiful work as well as RBI. I own a few of Toba's books and she does a lot of buttercream and fondant designs I like.

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:10pm
post #34 of 61

Thanks Jason. You understood where I was going. icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:05pm
post #35 of 61

This is a really odd thread.

So, if I walk into Saks and buy a Prada handbag, Versace jeans, Dolce & Gabanna shirt, a Burburry scarf and some Louboutins, does that mean because I didn't have those items custom made for me I'm not buying couture? No. Do I think the French or anyone else is laughing at me because I call my new jeans "couture jeans" when those jeans weren't specifically created for me? No, because nobody is.

Is Burburry not couture because every year they find a new and unique way to use the same plaid print they have literally been using for 155 years? No. Burburry is couture, baby.

"Couture" may have a literal definition, but it's also a generally accepted term for hand-made, the absolute best quality, and unique with impeccable customer service and lifetime warranties. And expensive.

I am sticking by my definition when it comes to cake, if you are making top quality cake and your designs are new, unique, trend setting and executed flawlessly, I have no problem with calling yourself couture if you want.

My $.02 icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:19pm
post #36 of 61

Burberry isn't considered "couture" per se in the fashion world. They're more mass-market than that at this point. Anyway, in the fashion world couture is a more exclusive type of a design than things that are sold in department stores, so if you go to Neiman Marcus (i.e. Needless Markup) and buy a designer label you're still not buying couture. Couture would be something that was designed and made for you specifically. You'd be buying a designer label but not couture.

By the way, if it's fashion-related, it's actually "Haute couture" and not just "couture."

What that has to do with cake is absolutely nothing, but the seamstress in me had to comment.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #37 of 61

@AnnieCahill,

I'm wondering about the phenomenon you've observed with the tie between the use of fondant decorations and the term "couture." Couture, fashion, en vogue...don't these terms all suggest something that is "now," that is current? Fondant has become very trendy in recent years, and that could be the connection.

Sylvia Weinstock may not use the term "couture" in her business, but she does her share of marketing. Her own website proclaims that she is the "Leonardo Da Vinci of cakes." Lest a potential customer be wary of the expense, the website has this advice to offer:

There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.

-John Ruskin

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I found an interview with her in 2010:

Do brides ever try to put the cakes outside in the heat?

S: We discourage that because these are butter cakes. We dont use fondant; we only use butter cream so it is a delicious cake to eat. That means it has to be cared for. So in an air-conditioned room it is fine; out in the sun, no. Bring it out at the last minute if it has to be outdoors at all. And then some other requests, do they want it flowery, do they want embroidery, do they want it art deco, is there a shape that they like. We show them different shapes. We then sketch for them and give them an idea of what they can get.

Also, on the show she had on We (I think it was just a one time thing) she told the people she was training that she didn't use fondant because she thought it was "cheap" and that they needed to learn better buttercream skills.

I was actually kind of disappointed that there was only one episode of that show.

I have never seen her books before but they are on my list of caking things to buy.

Well either she's lying or she has dementia and can't remember creating fondant cakes because there are more than a few in that book...a flower pot cake which is clearly covered in fondant, mini wedding cakes, a watering can cake, a tall vase cake, and a black and white tiered hand painted fondant covered wedding cake with red gp roses...ooooh I actually found a picture of that one...

Here's the link...scroll to number 2
http://wedding.allwomenstalk.com/6-amazing-wedding-cakes-too-pretty-to-eat/

I know she probably doesn't make every cake that has her name on it but why the hell would she lie about using fondant when this book is full of it? as is she apparently. lol

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm
post #39 of 61

LOL cakestyles, my vote is on dementia.

letsgetcaking, I definitely agree with you.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

I believe Annie's point was that it's much more difficult to design a beautiful, clean-looking cake without draping it in fondant, and she respects Sylvia because she can do it.

Really? Based on what? I just checked out Weinstock's site and many of her buttercream cakes are simply buttercream base covered with gumpaste flowers. Whether or not smoothing buttercream is harder than covering a cake with fondant is debatable. No tears, cracks, alligator skin, smooth surface (which requires a fairly smooth crumb coat), sharp edges/corners (as demonstrated by many fondant cakes this is not easy to do) are things which must be considered for a fondant cake to have a clean finish.

Point is covering a cake in fondant is not cheap and easy and in fact I find smoothing buttercream easier than covering a cake in fondant. Scroll work, embroidery, hand-painting are not unique to a butter cream cake either. Really how much difference is there in a cake covered in in gum paste flowers if it is butter cream rather than fondant? One is not that much more difficult than another.

I frankly find it odd people trumpet butter cream yet cover that butter cream with gum paste flowers. At best all that highlights is there are things you can do with gum paste (and fondant) that you cannot do with butter cream--let Weinstock try a star gazer lily without some kind of sugar paste. There are levels of difficulty with both. I have seen cheaply done butter cream and cheaply done fondant covered cakes -- does not mean one is by its very nature more difficult.

jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #41 of 61

@gc: I never said that covering a cake in fondant is cheap or easy, just that (in my opinion and Annie's opinion) it is more difficult to make buttercream look clean.

SW uses gum paste for decorations, and I often see people criticize her for this because she is so anti-fondant. Personally I think you can just chalk it up to personal preference, but based on the number of fondant vs. BC tiered cakes out there it seems that most people are more comfortable using fondant in their designs, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:20pm
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Quote:

@gc: I never said that covering a cake in fondant is cheap or easy, just that (in my opinion and Annie's opinion) it is more difficult to make buttercream look clean.

SW uses gum paste for decorations, and I often see people criticize her for this because she is so anti-fondant. Personally I think you can just chalk it up to personal preference, but based on the number of fondant vs. BC tiered cakes out there it seems that most people are more comfortable using fondant in their designs, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely. Like I said previously, there are several decorators whose work I admire, in both mediums of buttercream and fondant. I also have several fondant cakes bookmarked in my favorites.

cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:33pm
post #43 of 61

For me personally, I can cover a cake in fondant and have it look flawless a lot quicker than I can using all buttercream.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses, so for me...I'm definitely more impressed with a flawless all buttercream design because they are a challenge for me.

I'm sure there are others who feel the exact opposite.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:43pm
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Burberry isn't considered "couture" per se in the fashion world.

Right!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #45 of 61
Quote:

Couture would be something that was designed and made for you specifically.

And with a lot of the details handsewn vs sewn by machine, correct?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsmommee

I think RBI, Weinstock, Spence and the such as couture.

It took me way too long to figure out that RBI means Ron Ben Israel. To me, those initials mean "runs batted in." Blame it on years and years of sitting on the bleachers at kids' ballgames! icon_wink.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #47 of 61

Butterflies are not flies, nor are they made from butter......discuss. detective.gif

jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu

Butterflies are not flies, nor are they made from butter......discuss. detective.gif

During the spring, cows would have their calves. The cows would produce milk that would be turned into butter. Springtime is also when butterflies start to come out. These flying bugs were named butterflies because they would fly around while milk was churned to butter.

http://www.amazingbutterflies.com/frequentlyaskedquestions.htm

Case closed. icon_wink.gif

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 6:56pm
post #49 of 61

Objection.... detective.gif

Sustained.... judge.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Quote:

You are correct, of course!

What I want to know is what's the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #51 of 61
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Quote:

You are correct, of course!

What I want to know is what's the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

I'm sure someone on here will know....any guesses who? icon_wink.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #52 of 61

I'm still just wondering who cares. Some people don't have much in their lives to worry about if you can get so worked up about how cake artists use couture. Spend some of that energy working on solving world hunger or something.

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 11:12pm
post #53 of 61

I love a good Stone Ground Mustard. I'd bathe in it if I could, I mean if it were socially acceptable.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:02am
post #54 of 61

I think a "couture" cake is when a cake shows what's currently "in fashion". Right now that would be ruffles, bows, etc. I'm currently working on a Couture Wedding Cake (that I'm copying with permission - the original design is by J'Adore Cakes in Toronto) that matches aspects of the bride's gown, ruffles, elegant bows. Therefore, I think "couture" is related to fashion and putting fashion into a cake. I'll try to put up a picture of the cake by J'adore cakes so you can see what I mean.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:03am
post #55 of 61

And of course, the picture never showed up for me, it never does. Just search J'Adore Cakes, Toronto Ontario and look for the Couture Cake.

Yokieca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yokieca Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:10am
post #56 of 61

The red and black fondant have so much color in them it keeps them very soft

cakestyles Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:13am
post #57 of 61

icon_confused.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 12:26am
post #58 of 61

Therefore, anyone can make a "couture cake" if it mimics fashion. You don't have to be anyone special, your cake just has to be about what's in fashion. Lori from the Caketress does mostly beautiful fashionable (ruffles, broaches, etc.) cakes, that's why she calls them "couture". When I hear "couture cake" I usually think of a cake that matches aspects of the brides wedding dress.

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:19am
post #59 of 61

Does it really matter? I think its just marketing and I wouldn't use the term but whatever.

loooooooool I can't believe some people think that the 'educated' upper crust would not buy a cake because the word couture is used thumbsdown.gif stupide!

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 3:39pm
post #60 of 61

Oh wow!! I used to get emails when a post was made on a thread I was following. I guess I have changed the parameters some time ago. I thought no one responded, and now over 2 months later I check back and I have lots of responses!
I feel special! But now feel like the word couture is losing its "specialness" since so many use it as a marketing tool. Although my cakes are all custom, they just aren't flawless enough, among other things, to deem them couture. Maybe in 5 or 10 years.
Right now business has tanked for me. A lady nearby sells $6/dozen cupcakes!!! icon_mad.gif That 50 cents apiece!! icon_cry.gif I am at $24. Oh well. Even Wal-Mart sells them for $0.88 each. You'd think to keep cost down she would just hand you loose cupcakes, but she is buying clam shells to put them in, too. Those can be costly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%