Funky Tasting Cake

Baking By addiejane03 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 9:02pm by lilmissbakesalot

addiejane03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addiejane03 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 4

So, I just finished another yellow cake that is delicious. But this time it has a kinda funky ranky/sour smell and TASTE! I've used all the same ingredients that I used in the last one I made that I recall tasting fine.

This is a big deal to me today because I recently attended a wedding and the cake was AWFUL! totally not edible if you asked me but most of the cake was gone (I don't know if the people were actually eating it or not). And my cake today has the same 'taste'.

My ingredients are 'fresh'. Nothings been sitting around for ages. So, I'm looking for ideas of what could make it funky. The only thing I can come up with is the vanilla. It's sorta different smelling I think maybe. But then it might just be because I'm 'looking' for something. It is within it's 'best by' date.

Anyone, have this problem? Any ideas?

3 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure what it could be... don't know all the ingredients you used.

But I will add that vanilla does go bad. I bought a bulk bottle of it because it was cheaper in bulk. I was making a cake one day and I caught a wiff of it and it smelled sour. I bought another bottle and compared and you could definately tell the bulk had gone bad. So maybe that was it?

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

addiejane03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addiejane03 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, I just tasted the Vanilla. Funky for sure. I don't know if it's the brand or if its bad but it's definitely different. And its BRAND NEW!! Stupid vanilla. Well, I won't be buying that brand again.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 4

Well now... vanilla doesn't taste good right out of the bottle. It's pretty nasty infact. But it should smell good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%