Fondant Legos

Decorating By Lori0514 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm by korensmommy

Lori0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori0514 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I am making a 2 tier cake for a lego enthusiast's 9th birthday. I've never attempted to make legos out of fondant and don't know where to even start. I'm looking for advice on how to go about this and also what I should charge. My client wants 2 rows on a 1/2 and 1/4 sheet cake.

THANKS!!!

6 replies
Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure when your cake is due but they have lego molds online and you could use candy melts to make them. They are super cute! Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

LadyTangerine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTangerine Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:00am
post #3 of 7

I've seen somewhere that they used marshmallows and covered them in fondant for the lego tops.. not sure if that's relevant at all but I thought I'd stick my two cents in icon_biggrin.gif

Lori0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori0514 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your ideas! I will keep the molds in mind for future projects, looked at them online and they look great and very easy. I guess I will do it the hard way and make out of fondant. wish me luck icon_smile.gif

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 7

I've made fondant legos before and it was very easy. I shaped a piece of fondant into a rectangle or square shape, I've even cut the shape out to make it have sharper edges, then I cut small circles using a wilton tip #3 (it depends on how big the legos are going to be as to what size tip you'll use.) I put the small circles onto the top of the small square/rectangle and spaced the circles apart as they look on an actual lego. Gosh, does any of that make sense? I hope it does. It's pretty easy to make a lego without buying a mold.

holcombjenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holcombjenny Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

On my lego star wars cake I rolled out my fondant as thick as I wanted my legos and then I used on of my round writing tips to make the nubs and just attached the tiny circles to the blocks. I have also made lego cakes where the lego blocks were cake and the nubs were marshmallows and then frosted over everything. Hope this helps.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7

I had an order for a last-mintue lego cake a while back. Since I didn't have much time, I cheated and went to the candy store in the mall and bought lego shaped candies!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1835210

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%