Needing Help With A Fireman's Cake!

Decorating By cjurich11 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 2:22am by frankdiabetes

cjurich11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjurich11 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 7

I have never used fondant before so this is all very new to me icon_smile.gif

I want to make my boyfriend's helmet with a hose rolled up under it for his birthday and i need some advice...i attached a picture of the helemt so you can see what im talking about if questions dont make sense.... thank you in advance! icon_smile.gif

1. How do i form the side of the brim so that they have the slight curve his has and it stays on its own?

2.Same thing for his leather shield...how do i make it curve?

3. How do i make the eagle? and what can i use to make it look brassy?

4. What can i use for his face shield? It is hard to come up with something that is clear but has that slight yellow tint to it It doesnt have to be edible...it can be anything. I dont really want to try my hand at sugar just because there are already so many things ive never done to cake before!

5. i was thinking of trying to color it myself but ive been reading that for a beginner its better to buy it...would 2 lb be enough or should i get the 5? i am using wilton's soccer ball pan for shape then the leather, brim and maybe a few decorations will be made with the black....i would rather have some left over incase something happens rather than cut it close 'icon_confused.gif'
I think that is all for now...if i think of other stuff as i go along i will ask! agan...thank you in advance...i will have many more questions to come im sure icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cjurich11 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 7

im not sure why but i cant get the pictures to attach....

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

I have never tried to attach pictures, but maybe you could upload them to somewhere else and then link them, or find a pic of the helmet online and copy the link to it into your message?

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7

This blog has great instructions for every detail. The problem is the photos are gone. Don't know what happened. It would be worth emailing her to ask. http://ddpiesslice.blogspot.com/2009/02/fire-chiefs-helmet-cake.html

I did a simpler version (in my photos), PM me if you need more help. You will need to order the black. It's very difficult to color your own fondant with dark colors. Good luck!

cjurich11 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #6 of 7

thank you for that post...her directions were very detailed so i emailed her like you said and i am hoping to get some pictures...yours was really good! the shape was so perfect. i hope mine turns out that good. im a little nervous about all the small details bc i think thats whats really gunna make the difference...i wish he was turning 4 instead of 23...it would be much easier haha

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

I did a fire helmet cake that can be seen in my photos. I also used ddpies blog post for instruction, and it really helped to have an actual fire helmet to work from, too. I'd be happy to answer any questions about how I did stuff if you need help, just send me a pm. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%