Mother Of The Bride And Making The Wedding Cake!

Decorating By CakesByBabycakes Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm by JSKConfections

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 14

Traveling to Massachusetts for daughters wedding. Pre-baking and freezing cakes. Will decorate during the week I am there. My problem is how do I transport, assemble the cakes at the venue and get to the wedding on time? Cake will be 4 tiers - thinking about stacking two and two and finishing the assembly at the venue. Any thought or ideas?

Thank you!

13 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 14

My thought is.. YOUR CRAZY!
Its your daughters wedding!
Sit back, Enjoy and let someone else
do it this one time.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 14

I have done both my daughter's and son's wedding cakes. My son's wedding was the first and I did just what you suggested with on site assembly(but I wasn't drving to another state)!! For my daughter's wedding we made dummy cake with a slice in the back of actual cake for the cake cutting. Then I made kitchen cakes of all different flavors and the guests really enjoyed having a variety. This was much easier to transport. You're not crazy; you're just showing your love by sharing your talents. It will be just a little stressful, but very satisfying. What a great gift.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 14

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call you crazy...but perhaps very ambitious. I suppose if the undecorated tiers were deep frozen, packed in dry ice and air freighted from Florida to Mass. on the same plane you are on they might make it....but....I wouldn't be sure.

I did a three tiered cake and four dozen decorated cup cakes for my niece's first communion and I flew from South Carolina to California to do it. I had week in California before the event and the use of my sister's very large and well equipped kitchen. I price out the cost of shipping my pans, etc via FedEx, extra airline baggage (too much to fit into my carry-on) and then figured that it would be cheaper to buy new pans, etc. when I got there (my sister doesn't bake but she does have a KA mixer and a double oven). It really went quite smoothly and I was still able to relax and enjoy the day of the event. I left the purchased equipment with my sister along with a new copy of The Cake Bible as my gift to her!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 14

I did my cousins cake, I prebaked and froze and drove from SC to Ohio. Just took them out of the freezer right before we left, then I iced and decorated each tier and assembled on site (took my kitchen aid mixer with me, premade the icing and rewhipped when I got there). It turned out fine and wasnt a pain. I dont think your crazy at all, I will be doing my kids wedding cakes when their big day happens.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 14

I did my daughter's wedding cake. I didn't have the travel piece but I did the catering, too. The cake was kept relatively simple; 4 tiers, fondant covered, different ribbons on each tier, gumpaste lilies. I transported completely unassembled and then stacked, applied the borders, and arranged the gp flowers at venue an hour before wedding. I think your plan of transporting partially stacked is good.

We brought our clothes to the venue did all the setting up and then changed as guests were arriving icon_biggrin.gif. It can be done and is a wonderful gift of love to your daughter. I've posted this before but my daughter LOVED her wedding cake. To this day, she can be shown any wedidng cake and will state with conviction "Mine was better" and that made it totally worth the extra work. If I had more children, I would most definitely make theirs, too.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 14

I would do cakes for other family members. But when I got married I wanted my moms attention and help. I wouldn't have wanted her focused on other things. But to each their own. I had other 'go to' people.. But having my mom focus on me that day was worth her not doing any work. I dont have kids yet.. maybe my opnion will change by then.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 14

I'm doing almost the same thing (other than the traveling out of state) in a couple of weeks for a friends wedding. I'm her matron of honor, and am doing her wedding cake(s) (we still haven't finalized a design yet) as her wedding gift. It was all fine and good when we planned this, as the reception was just downstairs at the church where she is getting married. Now, the reception is a half hour away from the church, so I've got to get the cake delivered and get back to the church and gussied up in time icon_smile.gif

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #9 of 14

My sister asked me to make her wedding cake and then after asked me to also be her maid of honor. I was going to assemble onsite, but since I am now in the wedding I bought the SPS system I always read about on here. Then I can bring the cake assembled and just worry about getting ready for the wedding. Hope it works. icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:24am
post #10 of 14

I am MOB next year for 2 daughter's weddings...and yes making cakes for both. (Yes, call me crazy! icon_confused.gif ) I don't have the traveling issue that you do, but still am a little nervous. Actually though, I am more happy and honoured that they wanted me to do their cakes but only agreed to do them if they were only 3 tiers and simple in design. But just to add to the stress a little, I am also doing the flowers for both...surprisingly they both want silk flowers so that is something that I can take my time doing from now till the big DAYS! (One in April and one in October 2012) There will definitely be a LOT of pre-planning going on but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter and her fiance! Will be anxious to hear how everything went!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 14

I would put them altogether if you can at the very least do it in two sections. I prefer to do little work at the venue. I like a place and go kind of style.

Get as much of the decorations done ahead of time while you are still home. Double check everything you need. If you are doing gumpaste flowers have them done and packed well for travel. Make sure you know the route you have to take to the venue, deliver as early as possible (hopefully your daughter isn't getting married in the am)

Keep the cake as simple as possible so that you can enjoy the festivities and keep your sanity but yes it can be done, and will be such a special cake cause mom made it.

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 14

Success! Froze the baked cake layers. Packed all my tools and Viva paper towels. Decorated the cake Thursday, stacked and touched up the cake on Friday. After the ceremony on Saturday, delivered the cake to the reception, did some touch ups. Cake looked great, received many compliments on the cake - cake was delicious! Would I do it again? Yes!! My thanks to everyone on Cake Central for their suggestions and ideas.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 14

That is wonderful!!!! So glad it went well and you had a good time. Did you post pictures? Can't wait to see it. I have a daughter and hope when the time comes she wants me to do her cake.. many years of practive from now till then as she is just 16.. icon_smile.gif

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 14

I did my daughters wedding a few years ago and took the week off work. I was able to deliver and set up the cake the morning of the wedding, so I still had hours to go back home and get ready. Didn't have the travel issues. I did a stacked 60th anniv for my in laws 2 hours away last year...that one I was setting up as guests arrived and were all watching me...that was a bit uncomfortable in my fancy dress setting up the cake table...lol icon_smile.gif Good luck flying with it all, couldn't imagine! I hope it all turns out...let us know!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%