Cherry Ripe Mud Cake.. Anyone?

Baking By cutiepiecupcake Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 10:54am by cutiepiecupcake

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:35am
post #1 of 5

So I have quite a few requests in the next coming months for cherry ripe mud for wedding cakes.. there are a few nice recipes that I have come across, however, I was wondering if any keen mud cakers have a tried and tested yummy recipe they would like to share. I would HUGELY appreciate any input or direction thumbs_up.gif
Thank you in advance xx

4 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:00am
post #2 of 5

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/8025/cherry-ripe-mud-cake

Oh yum! I've made this one, which is very nice - I used 3 Cherry Ripes, instead of 2, and I chopped up some glace cherries and spread them over the bottom layer then covered with ganache. I think this added an extra boost of cherry flavour, but it wasn't really obvious there was anything there.

I chopped the cherry ripes pretty tiny as well - maybe 3mm square?

This recipe makes two pretty tall 6inch layers.

It's my new absolute favourite!

Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:01am
post #3 of 5

This is the one I use but with 3 large cherryripes

CHERRYRIPE MUD CAKE

INGREDIENTS
250g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 2/3 cups (400ml can) coconut milk
200g dark chocolate chopped coarsely
2 cups (440g) caster sugar
3/4 cup (110g) self raising flour
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (25g) cocoa powder
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 x 85g Cherry Ripe bars

METHOD

Preheat oven to slow. Grease deep 22cm- round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper

Melt butter in large saucepan; add coffee, coconut milk, chocolate and sugar. Stir over heat until chocolate melts and sugar dissolves; cool to room temperature.

Whisk in sifted dry ingredients, then eggs and essence; stir in half of the Cherry Ripe. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining Cherry Ripe; bake in slow oven about 1 3/4 hours.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:44am
post #4 of 5

Lovely, Thanks guys...
I have been after a tried and trusted cherry ripe recipe for a while now,
icon_smile.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 10:54am
post #5 of 5

Thank you icon_smile.gif Will definitely put these to the test! I have just pumped out 12 cupcakes of my own little experimental recipe. I think I have struck a winner.. definitely has a great cherry flavour!

Preheat oven to 160
100gms of dark couverture choc
220gms caster sugar
1.5 cups of water
250gms butter
1/3 cup pure cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee (dark roast)

(combine all of the above into a medium pot and stir constantly over medium heat until simmering, remove whisk and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool to luke warm temp)

1/2 tsp Marsden & Bathe Cherry Flavouring
200gms good quality glazed cherries roughly chopped
2 standard cherry ripe bars cut into small pieces

(marinade the cherry ripe bars and glazed cherries with the cherry flavouring for about 2 hrs - cover with cling wrap)

250gms plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup desicated coconut

(sift the flour and bicarb and add the dry ingredients into the luke warm chocolate syrup you preped earlier. Stir until just combined - only to the point you have absorb all the flour. Add the cherry mix, and gently combine.)

Will make nearly 24 cupcakes (bake for about 20 minutes - dependant on type of oven)
Or, a 8" round cake pan (bake for nearly 1.5 hours - again, dependant on oven)
Cooked when skewer is removed nearly clean and with only a few dryish crumbs icon_smile.gif

IMPORTANT: Allow both the cupcakes and 8" cake to cool in the pan for at least 15 - 20 minutes before turning out. This mud cake recipe (without the cherry ripe additives - first time I've pumped out this recipe.. but treat it the same) is extremely moist and fresh after cooking. It will develop in density over night or throughout the day. I like it best when it has been secured snug in some clingwrap and left in the fridge for nearly 2 days - so intensly delicious and a little more dense in texture, but still so beautifully moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%