Question About Soft Cake Fillings...

Decorating By CalhounsCakery Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 4:35pm by CalhounsCakery

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

So I'm making a wedding cake for next weekend, and it's gonna be tall. They are asking for my vanilla with a pastry cream filling. I'm worried that with the filling being soft, that it will compromise the stability of the cake. Any tips for using a filling like this on tall (5 tier) cakes would be great right now! Starting to panic and think it may be a bad idea!

4 replies
cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

The filling has nothing to do with the stability of the cake. Just make sure you pipe a dam around it.

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

Use the SPS system if you can, it will really help keep the cake stable. I've read that some folks add cake crumbs to a small batch of filling and use that to pipe a damn, so it's really thick. You could try that?

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

Just like the others said...a good damn to prevent the filling from sliding out. Also chill well before delivery so the cake can be nice and firm during the car drive icon_smile.gif

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 5

I always use some thick buttercream for my dams, and that works well for keeping the filling in the cake. I was just worried about the firmness and wether or not a soft filling would affect anything. I've never done a soft filling above two layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%