Icing Tastes Like Metal!

Baking By JustGettinStarted Updated 12 Dec 2018 , 7:35pm by -K8memphis

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 20

Hi, I am having a weird problem with my american buttercream. For some reason it seems to taste metallic to me, like sucking on a penny. Any idea what could be causing this? My husband doesn't notice it and no one else has complained, so it's possible it could just be me, but I can't stand the taste of what used to be delicious icing!

19 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 20

I reallt have no clue... could it be the bowl your mixing in?

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 20

Have you changed the brand of icing sugar that you usually use?, because i've once used a cheaper brand of sugar and it made my icing taste metalic.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 20

If you're the only one noticing the metal taste and it persists, I would suggest a trip to the doctor. There are many reasons for the metallic taste including allergies, medications, gingivitis, or a health problem. HTH

cakesbyashli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyashli Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 20

I had that recently and figured it was the new metal tip I used, despite rinsing it before hand. the icing I piped with it smelled and tasted metalic, so I piped icing with a different tip and it was fine.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 20

If you are coloring it a dark color it will taste like metal, otherwise I agree, a trip to to the doctor. A enoid stated, it could be a symptom=n of some medical problem. I hope you find out what it is soon, don't need your taster off kilter. :0)
evelyn

JustGettinStarted Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 20

no, I haven't tried different sugars, not piping it, and not coloring it. I thought it was the crisco I put in it, so I have bought 2 other containers of it and it still tastes that way. I thought it was the almond extract, so I left it out this time, and it still tastes that way. I just made a cake for a friend's daughter and I'm really hoping they don't taste it. My husband has tried it many times and can't taste it, so I'm hoping it's just me. I've used the same ingredients over and over and can't understand what is up.

As for it being me, nothing else is like this, just my buttercream. It's been this way for a few months. No idea! I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone thought it could be a bad ingredient or something. I'm really hoping there is a simple solution

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 20

I always notice a metallic taste with Americolor gels. Maybe it's the colourant you used?

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 20

if no one else is tastin git and you are not using new products or coloring it, it still may be you, i was on a medication that made anything with sugar taste metallic, wierd reaction i know, but nothing else just foods with a high sugar content,

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 20

Are you on a Iron supplement or recently have iron supplement injections? I know when I had Iron supplement Injection things were tasting like metal. Weird!!

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 20

Could you be pregnant? It's quite common to taste metal when pregnant.

JustGettinStarted Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 20

Gosh I hope not Valkstar! It's been like this for a few months. Only meds I'm on is birth control. Wonder if that could be it. Hmm

karen1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen1970 Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 20

i had the same problem with my icing and i know what it is!

your confectioners sugar is too old!  mine was about a year old, i bought a new bag and the icing was perfect!!!

good luck!!

Pramsey85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pramsey85 Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 20

To improve the flavor of powdered sugar frosting: 
The starch added to most powdered sugar can make frosting taste slightly metallic. Here’s how to fix that: Melt the butter and mix it with the powdered sugar, salt, and milk in a stainless steel bowl. Set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Remove the bowl from the water, add the vanilla, and beat until cool and fluffy; set the bowl in an ice bath to cool and thicken the frosting faster. 

Bonne Bouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonne Bouche Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 20

This is the main reason I don't use powdered sugar icing recipes.  Always taste metallic to me and I'm not ill or on any medications.  I think the problem is cheaper and/or old product.  I notice it less when I buy a more expensive brand in smaller quantities.  I recently bought a GFS brand in a big bag and I'm gonna toss it-- disgusting.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2018 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 20

I've never noticed a taste like that  -- but one time my icing turned gray for some odd reason -- had to clean the bowl and beater and all was well after that

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 12 Dec 2018 , 12:32am
post #17 of 20

You didn't by chance use the Crisco sticks because they now have a really weird flavor that I have noticed in the canned Crisco.  And K8 did you use a new bowl or beater that you put through the dishwasher where the finish oxidized and let off the gray color?  But again as several have pointed out it could be a health issue causing the metallic taste.  A far fetched idea is did you have any new metal fillings placed by your dentist, they can also cause a metallic taste but i don't think that is used much anymore.

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 12 Dec 2018 , 12:32am
post #18 of 20

You didn't by chance use the Crisco sticks because they now have a really weird flavor that I have noticed in the canned Crisco.  And K8 did you use a new bowl or beater that you put through the dishwasher where the finish oxidized and let off the gray color?  But again as several have pointed out it could be a health issue causing the metallic taste.  A far fetched idea is did you have any new metal fillings placed by your dentist, they can also cause a metallic taste but i don't think that is used much anymore.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 12 Dec 2018 , 9:59am
post #19 of 20

I'm so glad I'm not crazy!  Thank y'all!   Lol.  My icing was having a weird taste too.  And I'm the only one that noticed it.  Changed the brand of powdered sugar and that didn't help.  So I'm thinking it is the Crisco.  I always use the blocks and buy them right before using them.  Guess I'll try the one in the can next.  Please post if anybody else figures this out...and thanks!  My sanity is restored!  Y'all always make me feel better! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2018 , 7:35pm
post #20 of 20

doz -- never been in the dishwasher -- it wasn't a new bowl or beater -- very odd occurrence -- unless someone put it in the dishwasher & didn't let on -- but two things about that -- all of the family knew not to put stuff like in the dishwasher -- nobody else did dishes either ha~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%