Useful Tip For Those Without A Clay Extruder Gun

Decorating By mumof3 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 11:19am by JuliSchulze

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

(though chances are that you guys may do this already..... icon_redface.gif )

I dont have a clay extruder gun, and needed some long snakes/ropes, for a graduation cake(In my photos). I was getting fed up of rolling out snakes, as I never achieved an even thickness. So instead, I placed some fondant in an icing bag and microwaved it for 20 seconds, enough for the fondant to become soft. I then kneaded the fondant, snipped off the end of the bag and piped the fondant onto a mat. You can achieve different thickness by varying how much you snip off the icing bag.

Hope this makes sense! : icon_wink.gif

5 replies
DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:32am
post #2 of 6

I plan to buy an extruder soon but this is great advice icon_smile.gif I just tried it and it worked like a charm although it was a bit hard to press out of the piping bag icon_sad.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:09am
post #3 of 6

I like to roll out using a fondant smoother - works quickly and perfectly each time for me.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:05am
post #4 of 6

That is a fantastic idea...I will try that next time. I have not tried the fondant smoother, but I have used pieces of cakeboard (the shiny side) to roll an even thickness before.

Also, I've learned that modeling chocolate lends itself to even ropes a LOT easier than fondant.

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:25am
post #5 of 6

DivaJai. Try another blast in the microwave. When the fondant is warm it is very easy to push through the bag.

JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 11:19am
post #6 of 6

Another trick while trying to roll out a snake is once you get the fondant partially rolled you can place an object next to the fondant for example a pencil and continue rolling both the fondant and the pencil next to each other. You'll end up with a snake the same circumference as the pencil. Then use the fondant smoother, piece of cardboard to finish the rolling process

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%