I'm Looking For Easiest Smooth Icing For A Full Sheet Cake

Baking By Dee23 Updated 9 Sep 2005 , 10:28pm by Dee23

Dee23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee23 Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all-

I'm new to cake central and I'm loving every minute. I have my first order for a full sheet cake. My buttercream icing is never a smooth as I would like. Can I get any suggestions on what type of icing to make or a recipe for a better butter cream?

Thank everyone...

"D" the baker

3 replies
JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have a recipe suggestion, but mixing your icing on the lowest speed possible will prevent air bubbles and be easier to smooth. Also make sure you do a crumb coat first to get a smooth surface.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 4

This is the Buttercream recipe I use and it comes out perfect everytime.. Dont forget the viva paper towel method. Once you frost your cake let it sit for about 5 mins. Then lay the paper towel over the cake and smooth with your hands or a fondant roller, lift it slowly and TADA you have smooth icing everytime!!! Or to give it some texture you can use any paper towel with designs on it.. (tip: those red rags or blue towels that you can find in the automotive section work great too! must be lint free)

White buttercream icing
1 cup of crisco shortening (not so white you can use 1/2 cup of crisco and 1/2 cup of butter)
5 cups of powdered sugar (sifted once)
2 teaspoon of clear vanilla (or another of your choice)
1/3 cup of milk (or water) adding it until you get the icing the texture YOU like..
Good Luck!!

Dee23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee23 Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you sooo much for your response. I'll try you're reciept this weekend and I won't forget the viva. I will also mix it on the slow speed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%