Paint Splatter Effect. Why Vodka?

Decorating By badcheesemom Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm by AnnieCahill

badcheesemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badcheesemom Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all! Big time lurker, first time poster thumbs_up.gif. I am doing a top tier paint splatter, and its for a childs birthday party. Never done it before, but the way I am seeing it done is by mixing gel coloring with vodka. Is this ok? What is the difference between mixing with vodka or water? What about the liquid food coloring? I don't have an airbrush, so I'm ging to just fling it on. This may sound ridiculus, but I would rather not feed 9 year olds laced frosting! icon_eek.gif ! Also, if anyone has any other pointers on getting a really good effect, I welcome all ideas!
I've googled and haven't come up with anything, so thought I'd try the pro's! Thanks!!

7 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 8

The vodka evaporates. Don't worry you won't have any drunk kids lol.

Water seems to leave dots for me so I don't mix with that.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 8

The reason people use vodka is because it dries fast. You can also use lemon extract, because it alcohol in it, which will dry fast. Water doesn't mix as well and will dry slower.

As for the splatter, I just splattered orchids. I loaded up my paintbrush, then hit it with a spoon. Had a perfect effect. You can also use a toothbrish and scrape it with a knife. Don't see any reason you couldn't just use the liquid colors from the grocery store.

Good luck.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 8

The liquid colors from the grocery store seem a little too runny and don't like to dry fast enough. But they are still doable

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

I always use whatever clear extract I have that I have the most of - lemon, clear vanilla, etc. Works just as well.

badcheesemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badcheesemom Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 8

Ahhh. Thank you so much for the fast replies! I wondered if it had to do with the way it dried. Good tip with hitting the brush with a spoon. I'm off to try out some different techniques. Cakes being picked up Friday. This website is WONDERFUL!!
By the way - is there any wiggle room for changing the dye colors without wasting to much gel?

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

Even if you don't have an airbrush, the bottles of airbrush colors are perfect for splattering, and you don't have to do any mixing.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 8

The correct question is "Why not vodka?" icon_wink.gif

I feel it enhances the artistic qualities of the decorator, therefore producing a better end product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%