Buy Chocolate Cigarellos

Decorating By jlcalvert Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 9:51am by LisaPeps

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 14

I have been seeing a lot of cakes using the Chocolate Cigarellos and I want to try it. I have also seen the tutorial on here on how to make them. I have attempted and failed miserably!! icon_redface.gif

Does anyone know where in the US I can buy these??

Thanks!

13 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 14

Marque Foods sells them

http://marquefoods.com/categories/chocolate-pencils

Shipping this time of year would be expensive and/or risky due to high temps.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 14

Jcalvert, don't give up. I'm making 450 white chocolate cigarellos for a two tiered square anniversary cake next month. This is my first cake with them and i'm using Nati's way tutorial. The learning curve is high but once you get the feel for it, it moves along with great success. Be prepared for messing fingers ..or at least that's my experience with my fat fingers. This is definitely a case where practice makes perfect. I had to try different sheets of vinyl before I found one that wasn't too stiff or too flexible. I find 6 mil just about right for me. I opted for food safe vinyl rather than acetate and the resulting cigarellos are shining enough for me. Good luck

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 14

www.pastrychef.com also sells cigarellos...

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Jcalvert, don't give up. I'm making 450 white chocolate cigarellos for a two tiered square anniversary cake next month. This is my first cake with them and i'm using Nati's way tutorial. The learning curve is high but once you get the feel for it, it moves along with great success. Be prepared for messing fingers ..or at least that's my experience with my fat fingers. This is definitely a case where practice makes perfect. I had to try different sheets of vinyl before I found one that wasn't too stiff or too flexible. I find 6 mil just about right for me. I opted for food safe vinyl rather than acetate and the resulting cigarellos are shining enough for me. Good luck

Thanks for the encouragement. You are braver than I making that many!!!!! I will keep practicing.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 14

Okay I have a question -- where can you buy a marble slab to do the cigarellos on?

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay I have a question -- where can you buy a marble slab to do the cigarellos on?

Cheapest bet would be to go to a custom kitchen/bathroom place. They usually have loads of offcuts from making countertops, etc. so, you would get a really great price and, most will also cut it to size for you.

southerncross Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 14

good lordy....I'm not using a marble slab. I just have a large plastic sheet on my table and smear the chocolate on the vinyl templates and roll then tape. put in the freezer and bobs your uncle

southerncross Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 14

good lordy....I'm not using a marble slab. I just have a large plastic sheet on my table and smear the chocolate on the vinyl templates and roll then tape. put in the freezer and bobs your uncle

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I went to a shop which sells kitchen work surfaces. They gave me a slab of marble for free so long as I didn't want the edges polished (cleaned up), it was a very large piece too. I could barely carry it lol!

I'm in the UK but I can't see it being much different across the Pond.

southerncross Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 14

Ah LisaPeps, you don't know how us colonists suffer. Every home I had in Scotland had marble kitchen counters so getting one's hands on those end pieces aren't difficult...Over here we are into granite, synthetic and otherwise, tile and even formica. But seriously, you don't need any marble slabs to make chocolate cigarellos.

LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:10am
post #12 of 14

Granite and marble can be used interchangeably in chocolate work. For tempering they both act to draw the heat out of the chocolate, cooling it quickly. So if you can get a hold of granite easily and cheaply, go for it! You can use granite/marble for cooling sugar for pulling and blowing in place of a Silpat.

The only other way I've seen cigarellos made is Nati's way. How would you make them without the granite or marble (if not using Nati's way)? I tried to make them on my kitchen counter (which is synthetic I believe) and it didn't cool the chocolate down enough to be able to do it the usual way. I haven't tried it since with my marble, it's on a very long to do list. That will have to wait though because I'm fascinated with blown and pulled sugar at the minute.

southerncross Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:23am
post #13 of 14

I'm just a simple country old lady...I gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water. then I take my wee angled spatula and smear the chocolate on my vinyl template (about 4" by 1 3/4 inch) leaving about 1/4" or so of the long end of the template clean. then I roll the vinyl so the ends of the chocolate smear meet...tape the cylinder closed and pop into the freeze for a few minutes to firm up...later, I use a craft knife to slit the tape and bob's your uncle.

LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:51am
post #14 of 14

The way you do it is the process I referred to as Nati's way. It's just called that because there are tutorials and templates on here somewhere by a girl called Nati. They're not true cigarillos but they are easier than the usual method. I tried to do it nati's way but didn't have much success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%