Sugaring Cake Boards

Decorating By bridge72 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 5:45am by bridge72

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone..*waves hand*

I want to cover my cake board in sanding sugar and I was wondering how soon is to soon to cover it? Oh btw, the cake is due on Sat. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

I would put it on after I put my cake(s) on there and it was completely decorated. You don't necessarily want sanding sugar underneath your cake--and there's no reason to do it earlier I don't think.

How are you going to apply it? With a thin coat of clear piping gel? Don't know if that stuff completely dries, but it really doesn't have to I suppose. You'll probably have to touch it up here and there but that's no big deal.

bridge72 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the response!
Maybe I should correct myself...I meant to say on the display board. I cut out the area for the actual cake board so it won't be directly sitting on the sugar.

I just did a test on a piece of paper that I wrapped the board with...I just used regular corn syrup to adhere the sugar to the paper. It's holding so I may just use that.

My concern is how would I get the excess sugar off if I place the cake on it first? Maybe I'll sugar it then place the decorated cake on directly after...keeping my fingers crossed it works.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe mark the area where your cake will be and paint your syrup and sprinkle sugar around that. I had figured your cake would be on a board...I was just thinking it might be a bit of a gooey, slippery situation for the cake if you put it on your gel (or corn syrup)/sugar mixture.

Just out of curiosity, is the sugar supposed to represent something, like sand?

bridge72 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:45am
post #5 of 5

I did just that...marked the edge of the cake board. I'm planning on a fire and ice themed cake and want the red, orange and yellow sugar to represent the start of flames. It it all goes well I will definitely post a pic.
Thanks for all your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%