Can Freezing Save A Dried Out Cake?

Decorating By heysugar504 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm by AnnieCahill

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I made a chocolate cake for a Farewell party and I'm afraid I may have over cooked it. I always have a problem with the center of my chocolate cakes not cooking completely, but this time I seem to have gone the other way. The top was really firm, which is not how they normally are.

I removed the cakes from the pans and immediately wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in the freezer. I thawed one of them yesterday and leveled it to see how bad it was. It seems okay, but I'm still worried.

Has anyone ever done this before? What were your results. Any input is greatly appreciated!

2 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 3

I've never done this but I think some people brush the cake with a simple syrup mixture to help with making it moist? hopefully someone else will chime in with a more definite answer. good luck!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 3

Not sure how much this would help, but you could do a simple syrup wash after you level the cake. This method is not intended to make a dry cake moist, but it may help boost the moisture a bit if it's slightly over baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%