Fondant Vs. Buttercream... Help On Which To Use?

Decorating By katj012 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 2:13pm by katj012

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:34am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! So I have an anniversary cake next weekend due, for a woman who loves frogs. I have a great idea in mind for how to make this cake, but I am wondering about fondant vs. buttercream.

I prefer to make MFF and use it on my cakes, because it gives me a clean display to work off of. I also don't like coloring buttercream because I feel like that's just asking for everyone to leave with colored lips and tongues (in this case it would be blue or green).

Am I missing something here? I have been debating over making this next cake straight buttercream, because this woman asked me if I always used fondant (which I got the impression was kind of hinting at an "I prefer buttercream" thought). But I'm worried about the buttercream melting in the heat, the colors running on the cake, etc. etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice?

2 replies
ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 3

I guess for me, I would make what the customer wants. If they want buttercream, then that is what I would do. Did you talk to her about the pros and cons of buttercream vs. fondant? I love to work on a fondant surface too, but if they don't want it, you are sort of asking for an unsatisfied customer.

Do you know if they are having an indoor or outdoor party? The hear might not be too big of a problem. icon_smile.gif

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 3

My guess is outdoor - I know this woman pretty well, and know they take pride in their backyard (if it were me, I would lock the doors and crank the a/c!)

I just don't know what the best way to go is... I always put a thick layer of buttercream under my fondant so it's not like there isn't any to go with the cake... argh. I guess I can just bite the bullet and ask, but again, I'm worried about colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%