Help! Fondant Tear On Almost Finished Cake!!

Decorating By katj012 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm by katj012

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 8

This has NEVER happened to me before.

I was moving my tilting turntable with the cake on it, and my arm pressed the button I guess and the cake slid right off! Luckily (I guess) I was able to catch it.

The bottom tier isn't too bad, just one thum hole maybe 1/2" big. I can cover it.

But a chunk of the fondant on the top edge of the top tier ripped off - like 6" by 2". I have already finished ribbonin that layer, the cake is stacked, and the decorations started. I don't have time to pull that layer off and redo it.

Is there any way to salvage what I have?

7 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

Can you put decorations around the ripped area to hide it? I've done that before and it's saved me from having to redo the whole thing. Best of luck to you. (hug)

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 8

Try to fill the patch with fondant - then use royal or buttercream to hide the seams. I use my finger or a paint brush to smooth the frosting so that it is even with the fondant. It is kind of like spackling damage.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 8

I second the patch and spackle suggestion, but I would melt the fondant (of the same color of course) w/ a little bit of water and use that as the spackle.

katj012 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

You can do that?? How do you melt fondant?? In the microwave???

Thank you all for your help!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

I agree. If the fondant is coloured melt it in very short increments in the microwave. If the colour is white I just use a bit of frosting. It fades away and take on the same colour as the fondant.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katj012

You can do that?? How do you melt fondant?? In the microwave???

Thank you all for your help!

I do it all the time, small amount in a bowl in microwave for about 10 secs so its just warm then add some warm water a bit at a time while mixing with a spoon.

I use it alot in a piping bag to write the messages on cakes icon_biggrin.gif

katj012 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much everyone! I ended up trying to spackle, it just was too big, so I created a blanket to drape over the top tier of the cake, and then draped a ribbon over the bottom tier to cover my thumb hole icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%