Disco Dust

Decorating By Trance Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm by TexasSugar

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 6

Trying to see what the general concensus is on Disco Dust....even though it says Non-Toxic is it Edible or Not????


5 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 6

It's about as edible as non-toxic chalk or play doh. Does that make sense? If you eat it, nothing will happen to you, but you really don't want to eat it. icon_wink.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 6

Opinions around here vary so much. You should make your own mind up on it. Have a look at the info they have on their website regarding food safety and decide if/how you want to use it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

This is the manufacturer's info on it:


NON TOXIC GLITTERS (NON-TOXIC - not harmful) The Sparkle Range

Non toxic glitters can be used on decorations that are easily removed. If consumed, then the product will cause no harm and will simply pass through the digestive system. This product can not be classed as edible as this would mean it is digestible and is classed as a food, therefore we simply have to label it as Non-Toxic

from the website here: http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/page_info.php?pages_id=1&pages_name=Food Safety&osCsid=c5ecef0bdfeeba11e8387bf0432fe0c3

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:25am
post #5 of 6

Disco dust is fine grain PLASTIC craft glitter. It's meant to be used only on items that will be removed before consumption.

I don't use it on anything that will be eaten because, personally, I don't knowingly eat plastic and I don't want to have to disclose to the people eating my cakes that I'm feeding them plastic on purpose.

For things that will be eaten, I use edible glitter/sparkles (gum arabic), sanding sugar, and/or FDA approved pearl luster dusts by Crystal Colors.


TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by Trance

even though it says Non-Toxic is it Edible or Not????

The words non toxic and edible are not interchangeable.

Non toxic means it is not made to be eaten, but shouldn't hurt you if you eat it. Think Elmer's glue. It is non-toxic, but that doesn't mean that you should just smear it all over your toast in the morning.

Edible means it is made for you to eat and is safe for you to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%