A Few Questions Regarding Marshmellow Fondant

Decorating By Ilener Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 4:54am by auntiecake

Ilener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ilener Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 6

1. How long in advance should i let fondant figures dry before putting them on a cake?

2. How can i dye my fondant without coloring my hands?

3. Can i use regular vanilla frosting on my cake instead of buttercream to adhear the fondant?

4. Drawing on fondant, for example faces... How would you recomend doing this? painting it on with food coloring or using the pens?

Lastly
5. What color of dye do i use to get a flesh tone?

5 replies
texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 6

I let my fondant toppers sit out 3-5 days or longer until the shape holds. I use disposable gloves when coloring fondant. I use either orange or brown food coloring to achieve flesh tone. And I use either pens or actual fondant pieces for the face. I hope this helps. Sorry couldn't remember all your questions

keetinleeson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keetinleeson Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 6

Hope this helps. I use only Marshmallow Fondant cause it taste's better than the other kind. Only thing is I mix a little gumpaste in it when making something I dont want to "melt" or "sag" when trying to dry... if it's heavy it will. Just a little gumpaste will not affect the taste and it wont dry hard like a rock and still be edible.

1.Leave the figures to dry maybe two days or three

2. Use crisco on your hands and it will help to not stain your hands...use less coloring to start and add more as you need for the color you want and it will help to keep your hands color free.

3. Most frostings work to help keep the fondant figures on the cake but I use royal icing or piping gel like a glue to keep them on the cake.

4. I use food coloring gel mixed with a little vodka or clear vanilla extract to draw on the faces or fondant. It dry's quicker.

5. When first trying to get the right flesh color I wanted I used small amounts of fondant and tried different colors of coloring gel in Beige, nude, anything I could find that was brown and started with the tiniest amount on a tooth pick to see what color I came out with and went with the one I liked the best. It's really up to you and what your going for.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 6

Do not use Wilton Ivory unless you want your figures to look like they spend too much time in a tanning bed! Wilton's will turn into a horid orange color. I believe most will say to use Americolor

Ilener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ilener Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your comments they helped alot

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #6 of 6

Disposable gloves work great for keeping color off your hands. Copper coloring Wilton or Americolor work great for fleshtone. Just a small amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%