Cc Member Tips On Macqyvering A Cake Decoration?

Decorating By SweetsbySouthernBelle Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm by sweetviolet

SweetsbySouthernBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbySouthernBelle Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone out there ever Macqyvered a cake?

I've been reading the CC forum like an addict for a few weeks now, and I have been coming across some of the most original ideas for mimicking something from real life or improvising using a random household object. For example, I read a post from a girl who made a drum cake and made the cymbal out of a paper plate that she spray-painted gold (though, I have to admit that this one is not from CC. icon_redface.gif She was just the 1st example that came to mind because I just read it this morning http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-drum-cake-7.html ). I'm constantly astounded by the sheer genius of CC's members.

Anyway, I wanted to try to start a thread where people could post the coolest, most original (or semi-original) idea that they've done to make some kind of decoration on a cake................. or to save a decoration on a cake. So please, if you're willing, share your genius secret with us on how you used a random, totally-unrelated object to craft something for your cake.

Thanks,
SweetsbySouthernBelle
- Macqyver-in-Training -

9 replies
Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 10

I can't think of a specific one right at the moment, but I'm sure that every caker out there has had that moment of panic when we realize that this or that is needed, or won't work or whatever, and started looking around wildly and cunningly for the fix it.
And we come up with some Caaaarazy ideas, and MacGyverish they are!

But we usually solve the problem! We HAVE to!!!!LOLOLOL! icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 10

I've done several things but the one that comes to mind immediately is when I had to make a gum paste shotgun shell and I used a curtain rod to roll over the gum paste to get that ribbed effect!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 10

neat trick i learned at cake club was to buy an all thread rod from a home improvement store and roll on to fondant to make a ribbed texture

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 10

I think the piece of lense you buy at hardware stores also makes great texture mats!! They have so many different kind of diamond patterns.

Also, cutting a acrylic smooth curtain rod into pieces makes great rolling pins for gum paste.

and of course, paint edgers make the worlds best buttercream smoothers.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 10

I have mentioned this before, but I think it's worth mentioning again.

One of the best investments I have ever made was the 16-inch aluminum pizza peel (pizza paddle), that I use to remove and replace layers, tiers, and whole cakes to and from the board or turntable. I can fit a 2-layer, half-sheet cake on it without the cake cracking or breaking. And it costs less than $20 at any restaurant supply store that sells to the general public.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 10

Oh yeah! I was creating my sons 4th birthday cake, which was a castle for the Backyardigans. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1984430

I wanted the entire castle to be cake. BIG MISTAKE! The round towers would not stack correctly, no matter the support I provided. After working on the cake for 8 hours, my husband finally came up with the idea to bake them as an entire unit (duh!). They were originally 3 inch rounds, one inch high, stacked 6 high. I tried every variation of cake board in the middle, between each layer, straws, wooden dowels, freezing after layering buttercream, etc. So at 10pm I am at Publix, purchasing family size soup cans to bake these tower cakes in. Worked like a charm. I finished the cake (literally) 5 minutes before his party was to begin.

I refuse to discard those cans. I may need them again. icon_smile.gif

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 10

What a great thread to start!

I don't have a lot of examples but I use a straight sheet rock trowel to smooth butter cream, I've had to use my stainless measuring cups to cut ovals out of fondant (monkey cake) and I've used round piping tips to make tiny circles (lego cake).......icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 10

One note about using tools from the hardware store: Make sure they're stainless steel, as they stay sanitary with hot water washing. Carbon steel tools can pit very easily, and bacteria can grown in the pits.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 10

Yes! yes! about the stainless, forgot to mention that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%