Coconut Wasc... Help!

Baking By SRumzis Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm by NancysCakesandBeyond

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:00am
post #1 of 11

I've read all the posts I could find on this in the forums, but I can't find a recipe that will work. I've called around to so many places, and no one has the DH coconut flavored mix. I want a rich coconut flavor, but I heard coconut milk doesn't come through and coconut extract can be kind of sickening in the amounts necessary, plus I'm worried about a lack of depth in using just extracts. Any ideas? I've heard mention of coconut cream? Anyone use this? Anyone have a successful coconut WASC without the DH mix? What did you do? I don't have time to order it online, or I would. I need to make the actual "cake" part by Monday. Thanks in advance for anything!!!

10 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 11

You can find coconut cream in the grocery store. I think the brand name is Coco Lopez. Or you might find one that's imported from Mexico called Kalahua (not Kahlua, okay?!). I made a scratch coconut cake the other day with it and it was delicious. I'm sure if you used that for the liquid in your WASC (cutting back some on the sugar, because it's pretty sweet) you'd get a really delicious cake. If you wanted to, you could add a little coconut extract - not a lot, just a little to enhance the coconut flavor. I'm a new convert to the traditional WASC cake and I find it so versatile that I think you could do just about anything with it!

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 11

I made one the other day using a white mix, added coconut pudding and then used coconut milk for the liquid...it was great.

Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 11

I use the same recipe as jessicakes63, I add fresh coconut and coconut rum to buttercream and use it as a filling yummylicious...

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 11

Use coconut milk for the liquid and coconut extract in place of the flavoring. For extra flavour you can use coconut flavored pudding, but I always get great results with the coconut milk and extract. Hope that helps!

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 11

I made a coconut cream cake a few weeks ago and I just used white cake mix, added a little coconut extract to the batter, then I made coconut pastry cream for my filling and used the left over coconut milk (NOT CREAM) to make the frosting and when I wanted more coconut flavor I added some more coconut extract to the frosting, so 3 things were helping bring out the coconut flavor. It was amazing as well. HTH

NancysCakesandBeyond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysCakesandBeyond Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 11

One of my favorites is coconut cake. I use the WASC recipe but use unsweetend coconut milk and "Cream of Coconut" (very sweet) mixed really really well (because it separates in the can-liquid and some solid so it has to be mixed really well) in place of the liquid. I also add LoAnn coconut oil. I like it much better than coconut extract. I get my Cream of Coconut at Walmart and it is usually in the alcohol section for mixed drinks. hth

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 11

I use BC white cake, coconunt MILK for the liquid, coconut extract and about 1/4 bag of flaked coconut. When looking at your coconut products, be sure and check the ingredients. Different brands are labled differently. Typically though, coconut milk is not sweetened....cream of coconut is a syrupy liquid that is VERY sweet.

SRumzis Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 11

You guys are so sweet. Thanks for your help. The coconut pudding is a great idea. I think I'll use some coconut pudding, a bit of extract, and coconut cream. Great! I'll report on how it turns out, for sure.

SRumzis Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 11

If I want to add a pack of cream of coconut instant pudding, what do I take out, or add, to compensate for it?

NancysCakesandBeyond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysCakesandBeyond Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 11

I believe you don't have to take anything out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%