In Praise Of . . .wilton Fondant

Decorating By leah_s Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm by Ashleyssweetdesigns

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:39am
post #1 of 8

Now that you've picked yourselves up from the floor, I'm actually serious.

I used it today for ribbons and swags. It takes color beautifully, it's both pliable and strong. I don't know that I'd cover a cake in it, as I really love the taste of the buttercream flavor SatinIce. But for accents, Wilton is perfect.

7 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #2 of 8

I agree. For exactly the same reasons. I love the taste of Satin Ice. But Wilton is great for decorations.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 8

I love Fondarific for covering because it tastes really good but Wilton works the best for decorations.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 8

I agree leah. I've said it in many posts on here that Wilton fondant is great for decorations. Some people won't even consider buying Wilton because they say it tastes bad but no one eat the decorations anyway. Other thing about Wilton fondant is that you KNOW what you are going to get. It is very consistent. Duff's isn't good for decorations as it takes FOREVER to dry and I have had a really problem with consistency with Satin Ice.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 8

I agree. Great for decorations but wouldn't cover a whole cake with it. There are others that taste better but you can't beat it for decorations.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

I have no problem using it to cover cakes. I view fondant like gumpaste--for deco only. I tell folks they can eat if they want but I only use for decorations. Most folks either peel it off or are willing to try it (and interestingly all those who try it, like it). Given how well it works, factor in cost, just don't see a reason to use another. I

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 8

That's all I use for modeling because with the 40% off coupon you can't beat the price. Usually I mix it 50/50 with gp.

I would never use it to cover my cakes because I can't get past the chemical/weird smell and making mmf is more cost effective for me.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 8

Ive used wilton fondant forever. Recently started using Satin Ice to cover my cakes and I love it!!! However I agree with Leah Wilton is the best for decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%