Big Old Cupcake....

Decorating By WeeSooz Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm by WeeSooz

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 9

My daughter has decided she would like a 2ft x 3ft cupcake for her birthday cake! I have tried to reason...but I don't want to disappoint if there is a way I could do it. Does anyone have any ideas? The giant cupcake moulds are too small.

I thought about doing a foam shape and then covering it, but I'm worried that the candles might catch it and we'll end up with a disaster.

I must be mad.... icon_eek.gif

8 replies
JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

It's never too soon to teach your child they can't always get what they want!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 9

Ace of Cakes did that at one time. He used a metal bucket like one of those you use as a cooler where you put bottles of beer and a lot of ice at a party or picnic... this sounds to be a big challenge for you. Or you can bake sheets and sheets of cake , stack them up and just carve it to a giant cupcake 2x3 feet.. your daughter is helping you right ?

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

I say buy the giant cupcake pan, make it and set it on top of a sheetcake and call it a day!

icon_wink.gif

fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:45am
post #5 of 9

This is what I was talking about. this cupcake earned Guiness Book Of Records. This is Duff GOldman making the giant cupcake:

good luck with your project.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #6 of 9

Wow! I wonder how long it cook to bake that one?!

fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by olleharr

Wow! I wonder how long it cook to bake that one?!

a very long time.. don't know if my oven can even fit this icon_smile.gif this is what he used as cupcake pan.. I saw the whole episode. He had to do it twice since he run into a problem:

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 9

I would be tempted to either stack sheet cakes and carve as a previous poster said, or say "sorry hun but Mum can't do that- pick again!"

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

I saw that on Ace of Cakes.....was it not kind of hollow in the middle? And I seem to remember that the record got rescinded because the cake was baked in 2 bits?

As for my cake....I think I will either do the cupcake mould and make it on top of another, or make some small ones and then the big one on top. Or....maybe a pull apart cake in the shape of a cupcake (ie it will be 2D).

I think its maybe that time in her life when she realises that her mum is not in fact, Superwoman! *lol*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%