Help With Wilton Global Design Mold

Decorating By jade8 Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 12:44am by jade8

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

I recently purchased the global design mold from Wilton and cant seem to get the darn thing to work. My designs come out either double printed or not so clean around the edges. I use fondant and add tylose to it so its not so soft. The one I have the most difficultly with is the border on the bottom of the mold. Maybe I am not applying the fondant correctly or should I use
gumpaste or a mix of both.
If anyone out there uses this or any other mold and has some suggestions I would really love to hear from you.
Thanks.

4 replies
Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, this works for me - dust the molds with corn starch, then turn it over to shake the excess out, then I either use a ball or snake of fondant depending on the shape, then I use a thin forming sponge, and finally I roll a small rolling pin over it to smoosh it in.

Doing all of that has worked really well. I hope this helps! I love the new Wilton molds. I think they are fantastic.

jade8 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 5

do you put the sponge on top of the fondant and roll or push in the fondant with the sponge?

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 5

I use the sponge on top of the fondant. I put the fondant in the mold, use the sponge to push it around a bit, and then use my pin to push down and roll hard. Does that make sense? LOL I just find using the sponge is easier because the fondant doesn't stick to it like it does to my fingers.

The last two cakes I did I used the molds and I think they worked really well. I haven't used the world one yet but I can't wait to use it for something.

jade8 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 5

that makes sense, thanks. i will try it. i really want this to work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%