How Do You All Stay Thin?

Lounge By BurnsyJ Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 12:01pm by Jennifer353

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

The best way I have found not to nibble. I have dentures.. Take my teeth out. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is just awesome! You win! thumbs_up.gif

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:37pm
post #32 of 44

I throw away most anything I'm not giving away. My family actually complains because all of the goodies I make leave the house in their entirety and go to someone else. If I have a cake hump, I will take the entire thing in to the only guy in the house because he is a garbage disposal for goodies and I know he will finish it. If he is not around, I toss it. I simply don't make anything that sticks around to tempt me.

I'll even throw away things I could feasibly keep and use later if I dont see an immediate use for them for someone else, because I know I'd nibble on them till they were gone! I put spatulas and bowls into a sink full of water when I'm done mixing because I am so one of those people who would pull up a spoon and a bowl of batter or icing and mow down. LOL I have a horrible sweet tooth. Sweets are definitely my comfort food.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #33 of 44

I put on 50 pounds in the past 2 years perfecting recipes and opening my shop.. Just started the "official" diet yesterday. My staff with have to be my taste testers cause this girl has got some weight to lose!!!

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #34 of 44

Chickens!!!!!! I sample to ensure quality control. My I-eat-and-never-gain-weight Husband also samples and the rest goes to the chickens!! I don't have to worry about waste because they gobble it all up and I get lovely eggs to boot.

But, I do enjoy a sample, and I am in no way thin. I also don't want sweets when I'm baking/cooking. It's like my hunger is shut off. When I was at work 12 hours a day I was just never hungry, I would grab a taste of cake or a warm cookie but that was it. BUT, after going home and getting cleaned up, well then I was ravenous!! Its the same way at home. I cook all day for Thanksgiving and then I really don't want to eat, but the next day watch out, I'm heaping a plate to warm up for breakfast. icon_smile.gif

40 years later you'll be making cake and cupcakes and the smell of buttercream will turn your stomach, but then your husband will give you a hug, smell your hair, and say "Oooohhh my, I really want a cupcake!!" HE hasn't worked around them all day!!

Tami icon_smile.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:25pm
post #35 of 44

After gaining an amount that shall not be disclosed, i devised a plan to make those test cakes, cookies and pies disappear. I give them to the neighbours in my small town. Sometimes i even post on Facebook (it's become like our town crier). Everyone knows they will probably get goodies with one small piece missing. No one minds and everyone is encouraged to critique the baked goods. They get free desserts (although most reciprocate with fresh fruit or produce like a bushel of peaches or a basket or two of fresh wild blackberries after all this is farm country) and I get a test panel of judges.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #36 of 44

thanks for starting this thread because I was wondering about the same thing. icon_biggrin.gif
I tried dumping the stuff in the hot water trick and failed miserably!!!!! I love to taste and those humps I look forward to icon_cry.gif so there is no chucking there!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 8:43pm
post #37 of 44

I love to bake cakes but i am not ! lol.. i always taste but that's it... i'm more of a chocolate candy person...

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:18pm
post #38 of 44

After my boys made the comments about my weight gain, I began walking around the football field each time they have football practice. I completely embarass them. They won't comment on my weight gain again. Fat moms with spatulas rule.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #39 of 44

Thanks everyone for playing along today. I am definitely going to try some of your tricks as well as keeping up with my regular work-outs. I hope to some day be grossed out by the smell of cake. icon_biggrin.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #40 of 44

One other thing: stay off of Cake Central -- especially if you're hungry!! After a half hour just poking around the site, I always leave really wanting some cake!! Like, right now would be good. Gotta go for a walk!

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:45pm
post #41 of 44

Since I'm only a hobby baker and my real job that pays the bills is the US Air Force, it isn't hard for me. I have to do physical training three times a week and I actually don't like cake, pies or cookies. I'm a hard candy person. I do taste test the recipies while I'm mixing the batter, but once it is baked all scraps going right in the trash and the beaters, spoons, spatulas and bowls get washed right away.

Good luck. You have me wondering what I'm going to do in about 10 years when I retire from the AF and look into making cakes full time.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:32pm
post #42 of 44

With all things in life moderation is the key. I too gained about 10 lbs. when I started baking. I do taste all my batters, fillings, and icings for quality control but don't eat more than a bite or two. After many years of baking I've grown weary of wanting to devour my desserts.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:55pm
post #43 of 44

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gained 10 pounds(-ish) when I started decorating! I find that when I'm working on a cake, I get into "the zone" and don't really think about sampling too much. It's afterwards when there are scraps around that I lose it. So, I have started giving most of my cakes away, like many of you. I do keep some because, let's face it, life isn't really worth living if you can't have a piece of cake now and then! But to keep myself from over-indulging when I am just feeling bored, I make sure I have other interesting things to do. Like cake books from the library to look at or sketches to work on, or just magazines with lots of inspiration. If my hands are busy, they can't dig into that cake scrap bowl!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:01pm
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

One other thing: stay off of Cake Central -- especially if you're hungry!! After a half hour just poking around the site, I always leave really wanting some cake!! Like, right now would be good. Gotta go for a walk!

Absolutely!!!! I always want cake with frosting when I've been on Cake Central, I most commonly crave red velvet cupcakes from the shop around the corner from my office (I use CC at work, I dont let myself do it at home or I'd never be off it!). Right now I want one but I offically started eating sensibly yesterday so no cupcakes for me. It is lunchtime so I'll go get sensible lunch.
I try to give my baking away and my colleagues will always happily eat anything I bring in but when my boyfriend is around mine for a few days I find it really hard and he really has no concept of what is calorific!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%