The "i Thought The Box Was Empty" Cake....

Decorating By Cranny Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm by Cranny

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 6

My boss asked me to make a cake for a friend of his, based on the online game "Angry Birds". He needed it on a Tuesday, so I had prepared almost everything over the weekend, and stayed up until 1am tuesday morning to put it all together. Was impressed at how it turned out (pic attached). I had never heard of the game, so I played a few time, and went along with my idea...

I brought it to work, set it in the empty office next to mine, which no one ever uses. Our offices are kind of like glass cubicals, so you can see into and through all the offices.

I was working at my desk, and noticed out of the corner of my eye that someone was using the phone in that empty office. I looked over, and saw that the box that I had the cake in had been flipped over! I went running, looked the person on the phone and said "What are you doing! THere's a CAKE in that box!".... he hung up the phone and just looked at me. My boss heard me yell and came running. We opened up the box, and there sat the destroyed work.... birds pigs and board all over the place, slid the cake around the cake board, smashed in 1/2 of the icings, destroyed my little hill.

I won't repeat every work My boss said to the guy on the phone (we'll leave it at "$*@)(#!!! $*%*@!!! BEEP #$@"..... and my boss' face was RED!!!

The phone guys response "I thought the box was empty... what are you doing with a cake in there anyways"....

Luckily, I was able to take it home at lunch and fix it best I could. I felt like I was on Food Network Cake Challange when they try to move their cakes to the table and something falls apart..... and you only have a few min's to make the repairs!!!

I brought the cake back, opened the box for the boss (client) to inspect it, and he said he couldn't even tell that it was damanged, so that made me feel a bit better.

Needless to say, when I returned with the cake, it went into a different office and I LOCKED THE DOOOOOOOR!!!!!! LOL

Just thought I'd share... It was my 2nd cake-tastophy in 3 years of decorating. Not too bad of a record.... icon_smile.gif Oh, and I charged the phone guy $20 for my time of having to run home and fix the cake. He paid the next day.

5 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 6

I'm glad it turned out ok for you. What an idiot! I can't believe he thought the box was empty.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 6

How could he not feel the weight of a cake in the box? Duh! geez...that is just horrible. Glad you could make the repairs, but how stressful!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 6

My question is, why did he feel the need to pick up a box (empty or otherwise) and flip it over? icon_confused.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

My question is, why did he feel the need to pick up a box (empty or otherwise) and flip it over? icon_confused.gif

I'm wondering the same thing!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Did he prop his feet up on the desk and kick it off? Odd.

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 6

The cake was in the box, on the desk.... he said he just saw a box while on the phone and started 'playing' with it and flipped it.

I asked him "What if there would have been a kitten or puppy in there"....

He said it felt empty. I carried that box with the cake inside.... to and from the car 3 times. It did NOT feel empty... LOL

His last name was noonchester. Now when someone does something stupid around the office, we say they "noonchestered"... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%