Quick Question About Fondant Cake In Fridge

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 7:00am by apetricek

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:14am
post #1 of 4

I have decided to put a fondant covered cake in the fridge for the very first time. The filling in it isn't perishable, but I think would taste better cold nonetheless. My customer is coming to pick it up in the morning, and I am just a little worried about condensation and sweating, as I live in an area with extremely high humidity. Do I take the cake out of the fridge before she comes and leave it sitting in the box on the counter for a certain amount of time before she comes, or do I leave it in the fridge until she comes, then give her some sort directions for care of the cake when she gets it home? Any kind of advice would be super appreciated! Thank you!

3 replies
puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #2 of 4

Anyone???

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:22am
post #3 of 4

I personally wouldn't put it in the frig at all inless u needed to.. But if u do I would let it come up to room temp icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 7:00am
post #4 of 4

I put all of my fondant cakes in the fridge always have always will. First off I am a firm believer that cold cakes travel better than room temp ones. I also do this all year no matter the season or temp. I usually leave them in there till they come to pick up and then explain to them that the fondant will "sweat" but after a bit it will warm up and go away. I have never had an issue with this, after a bit the moisture absorbs and the fondant looks just like before it went in the fridge. I airbrush, hand paint, gumpaste, royal, etc. and I have never had an issue with fondant+fridge. I would do it, really poses no problem other than a wet-ish looking cake that lasts a bit and then will certainly go away. I have done plenty of wedding cakes recently and have done this, I also offer quite a bit of fillings that have to be kept in the fridge so again there is no other option for me, other than to put it in the fridge. I know there is a heavy debate on this,,, but this is what I have been doing for years. I do use solely satin ice, so not sure if this goes for the homemade version of fondant. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%