Help With Strawberries!

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 3:13pm by GuiltyPleasures

angelcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes11 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a cake with a chocolate buttercream filling with fresh strawberries...The last time I used fresh strawberries my cake all fell apart and the strawberries disappeared into the cake!! I had to redo the whole sheet cake and omitted the strawberries, it was a custard filling not sure if thats why it happened. I really need help on this one I am afraid of the cake falling apart on me again! I would really appreciate the help .. it is much needed.. thank you guys.

7 replies
angelcakes11 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone? I need the cake to be ready for Sunday. I really would appreciate any suggestions

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:58am
post #3 of 8

I used strawberries in my cake last wknd, but my problem was that the strawberries just didnt taste fresh anymore...they were kind of soggy and had that overripe taste. But my cake didnt fall apart. Another client wants strawberries in her cake for next wknd but i think i might just try making a strawberry buttercream filling instead. Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

-Katie

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #4 of 8

Oh and when I used strawberries I had a buttercream filling that I refrigerated before adding the strawberries so it was firm...maybe thats why my strawberries didnt disappear.

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:22am
post #5 of 8

Strawberries tend to get soggy after awhile. I typically will only use them on the top of a cake whole or in a cake if I am going to serve it right away. When they get enclosed they tend to sweat and will release juice (this is why hand dipped chocolate cover strawberries are really only good that first day you dip them). For my wedding I wanted chocolate covered strawberries. Luckily I was blessed with some awesome friends and family and they hand dipped a boat load of them the morning of the wedding...but I digress.

Because strawberries will leak their juices into your cake or icing and become limp and soggy I would not recommend doing it unless it is going to be served right away. If you have already committed to it the I see when they were planning on serving it. You may be able to get away with it if you can make it right before they pick it up and they plan on serving it right away. I wish I could be more of a help.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:32am
post #6 of 8

I was just trying to think this through some more. Perhaps if you were able to put a thin layer of strawberry jam or a homemade strawberry pie filling (sugar, strawberries, cornstarch, and lemon juice) under the strawberries or coat the strawberries very thinly in this it would help keep the strawberries fresh longer? I haven't tried it but it is a thought. Good luck!

angelcakes11 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys I appreciate your reply's. I wracked my brain all day yesterday then I thought of strawberry shortcake, I have made a few of them and have never had a problem with the cake falling apart. I let the strawberries sit in sugar prior so they release their juices and glaze themselves beautifully. So I am going with a homemade whipped cream chocolate filling and leaving the strawberries whole , worked with shortcake right icon_eek.gif .. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works the cake is for tomorrow, I will have to finish it tonight, the strawberries and whipped cream are the center filling so I need time to decorate the cake.... fingers crossed on both hands!!

GuiltyPleasures Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck! Let us know if it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%