Cake Decorating Stores In Minneapolis?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 8 Oct 2015 , 1:49pm by joabra83

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #1 of 16

I'm visiting Minneapolis/St. Paul area and wondered if there are any good cake decorating stores I should check out?
And if you could please give me directions!
TIA icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 16

I go to Lynn's Cake and Candy supply in Fridley. It's pretty much the only one in the Twin Cities area, so I'm not sure how it compares with other stores around the country.

Where exactly are you coming from? I can give you directions if you let me know where in the Twin Cities you're staying. Heck, you could even stop in at my work and say hi! It would be fun to meet another CCer!

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:37am
post #3 of 16

It is such a shame that we have almost NOTHING here as far as cake decorating stores. I've been to Lynn's (mentioned in Rose's post) once as I live fairly close and was really disappointed. I felt like I had stepped back into the 70s.

I have searched recently, and I'm afraid Lynn's is the only one icon_sad.gif

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:15am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgirl

It is such a shame that we have almost NOTHING here as far as cake decorating stores. I've been to Lynn's (mentioned in Rose's post) once as I live fairly close and was really disappointed. I felt like I had stepped back into the 70s.

I have searched recently, and I'm afraid Lynn's is the only one icon_sad.gif

I felt that way too the first time I entered Lynns,(back when they were at university store)but I can tell you now they are way better.I just ordered some molds,only to discovered they now carry a lot of these molds and so much more.I believe they just realized they are the only one and stepping up.you might need to revisit Lynns!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:21am
post #5 of 16

I'm GRATEFUL that we have Lynn's. Maybe we only have one cake decorating store in the metro area, but at least we have one, thank heavens. Lynn has expanded her offerings and inventory considerably since her move to a larger space in Fridley. I especially appreciate her willingness to add items that her customers ask for. While I still order some specialty items on line, I find that Lynn's has most everything that I routinely need.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 16

I was just there the other day and found out they're discontinuing the no-fade purple gel colors. She had three left so I snatched them up. Not sure if it was Lynn herself that I was talking to, but she told me that the ingredient used in the gel to make it no fade has quadrupled in price, so she's not carrying it anymore. She's like "I can't afford to keep that in stock, no one will buy it!"

And yes, I've noticed as of late that the selection has increased. When I was there I noticed a lot more gumpaste cutters for flowers and other cutter kits (like to make an angel or random nursery items, etc.). I just wish the fondant was a little cheaper. And I noticed the CK brand hi-ratio went from 10.99 for a 2lb tub to 11.75.

Yeah, other than Lynn's we would have Michael's and JoAnn's as our cake supply stores!

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 16

I miss Maid of Scandanavia so much!!! I used that store for 20 years, it was in Maplewood and I was really heart broken when it closed. I saw Lynn's on the internet but have not ventured over there. I tend to use Michaels or Joannes for basics and order online for other things they don't carry. Maybe I should open a store on the St Paul side! Might be something to think about!! icon_smile.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #8 of 16

When I got serious about cake decorating, I headed to Maid of Scandinavia and was shocked to find it closed! Needless to say I was extremely disappointed. If you open a store on the St. Paul side of town, you will definitely have me as a customer!!

beckyark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyark Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:18am
post #9 of 16

Lynn's is fine and I'm sure glad it's here! I do find some things at Kitchen Window downtown but they don't have much that Lynn's doesn't have. They're more pricey than what you can find online but you can certainly get stuff quicker and not pay shipping so maybe it's a wash.

Nice to see some fellow MN people here!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #10 of 16

Thanks everyone! We are here right now and leaving tomorrow. I didn't get to Lynn's because I'm staying down in Apple Valley. But it doesn't sound like they'd have more than I can get in Calgary. Plus DH didn't think I could fit another thing in my 'cake room' haha...
Anyway LUV this place! Both cities! What's up with the traffic? It's so light and easy to get around- is it just the time of year?

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:54am
post #11 of 16

Ok, you all have me convinced that I need to visit Lynn's again!

Glad you enjoyed our cities icon_smile.gif Traffic is touch and go-depends on the time of day and where you are going. Just yesterday I sat in traffic for over an hour when normally it would've taken me 30 minutes without traffic :/

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 1:44am
post #12 of 16

Hello!

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if there's anything new in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  When I used to live there, Maid of Scandinavia was my go-to place.  I've been out of the area for 10 years, now so I'm hoping things have changed.  Where do all of you in the Cities (or Western Wisconsin) shop?  I'd love to do some cake/cookie shopping while I'm up here for the holidays.

joabra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joabra83 Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 2:34am
post #13 of 16

A

Original message sent by ac2steachk

Hello! I'm resurrecting this thread to see if there's anything new in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  When I used to live there, Maid of Scandinavia was my go-to place.  I've been out of the area for 10 years, now so I'm hoping things have changed.  Where do all of you in the Cities (or Western Wisconsin) shop?  I'd love to do some cake/cookie shopping while I'm up here for the holidays.

joabra83 Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 2:39am
post #14 of 16

AHi there! I'm resurrecting d thread too lol.. I live in st paul... And started decorating cakes about 2 1/2 yrs ago and I always eather buy online or Michael's (witch its expensive). I can not believe I didn't know about Lynn's store until yesterday lol... So far I like it... They are more cheap than Michaels and have a lot of stuff... u can buy online and pick up at d store... I recommend this store and yea its sad there's no other closer to st paul/ Maplewood. ;-)

Stubs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stubs Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 16

AI miss Sweet Celebrations too, I was just saying almost the same thing to my husband about opening a shop, but I thought Woodbury, as it would also pull in business from Wisconsin.

joabra83 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 16

Hi Stubs! It is been a year know.. Did you happen to open the shop?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%