Decorate Your Cake/cpcks Night Before Or Early Day Of Event?

Decorating By Prissy82 Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 12:53am by labmom

Prissy82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prissy82 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

I have been decorating my mini cakes or cupcakes early day of a birthday or babyshower. Would it make a difference if I were to decorate night before? Or day of event.... Any reccommenndations??

8 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

because it saves me time I always decorate the day before the function. Never had a problem so far! Although I only use crusting buttercream, or my own buttercream recipe or fondant. I wouldn't try it with whipped cream etc.

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 9

I always do it the night before. Always.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 9

Question - for those who decorate cupcakes the night before, how do you store them overnight? Airtight, or just in a box? If in a box, does that dry them out? I don't worry about my cakes once they are covered in buttercream, but cupcakes seem to dry out quicker. I would love to hear your opinions!

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 9

I store them in the box. If you ice the entire top they don't dry out as quickly. the icing sort of "seals" them.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 9

I also decorate the day before unless the pick up is in the late afternoon, but usually it's a "get it done and out of they way" decision!

I store them iced or uniced in the delivery box - airtight containers in my opinion are a contributing factor to having your liners peel away from the cuppies. If they are to be stored for more than 1 day, they go in the freezer.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

Speaking from experience I really recommend doing it the day before rather than the day of. If something happens or the decorating is just not going the way you want it to, you aren't under such pressure to get it done in time.

When I have waited until the day of it always seems like I am rushing to get it done or I have problems with the technique or something. I always wish that I had just stayed up and finished the night before.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 9

yes i agree.. the day before....the day of you run the risk of something happening and you will end up scrambling to get things together...

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #9 of 9

after years of driving my husband crazy finishing my cakes as we walk out the door to deliver having been up all night working on the cake project I have got it down to where I baked my cake last night and I am frosting tonight my cake for saturday morning . I want time to be able to take my time relax and work on it with as little stress as possible and if there is a problem it can be fixed. Like last night when I found that I didn't have enough batter or eggs for one of my 10" layers. So I had to wait until tonight to even bake it.

as long as everything is well covered wither by plastic foil or frostings the cake will be find. I find mine get more moist as it goes on.

As soon as the grandkids go home.. I will get busy and I should be finished by the end of late night tv and be able to relax tomorow and even sleep in if I want and enjoy a nice friday to myself .. without any worries.

I have a friend whos family owns a big commercial bakery (old school bakery) with everything buttercream and lots of drapes and ruffles. They bake on Tuesday and decorate on Thursday giving the cakes enough time to settle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%