6In Lady Bug Cake. 1St Birthday. What To Do For The Black?

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 5:49am by madcobbler

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:42am
post #1 of 5

My niece's birthday party is this weekend and the theme is lady bugs. I have the ball pan so I am going to use one half to make a lady bug for the princess to dig into. However, I don't really wants to use a lot of black since she'll be getting it everywhere and I don't want it to stain anything. Obviously I can't use fondant because that'll be a chocking hazard. Any suggestions on how to go about it.

4 replies
boxerbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boxerbabe Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:18am
post #2 of 5

If you mix orange jello with purple jello it makes black. Try using the jiggler recipie on the box. dropping thickened black jello by teaspoons onto a cold cookie sheet covered in plastic rap. I haven't tried this but I think it should work and be safe for baby. Good luck!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:21am
post #3 of 5

I always start with a can of chocolate frosting and add black color to it. that way you don't have to add much black food color and it tastes chocolate. No bitter black yuck. My neice made a lady bug cake for her neice and there was so much red and black everywhere.. no one ate the mini cakes that she made or ate the main cake that she brought to serve because of the bright red and dark black.. hers were just black.. bottles of it... no chocolate base.

If you have an air brush you can always use that with black color.

good luck.

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 5

I agree with labmom. Chocolate base is the way to go.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:49am
post #5 of 5

Chocolate base for the black and Wilton's no taste red is the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%