Cake Topper Has Me Struggling With Cake Design.

Decorating By SarahL4683 Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 11:19pm by Torimomma

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:57am
post #1 of 5

Today one of my friends dropped off her cake topper. It's a plastic filigree cup with a plastic base on it where Sally and Linus (from the peanuts gang) are on. behind them is a heart shaped arch made of smaller shaped hearts. I have to say, I'm pretty sure this style of topper is before my time. I generally see these types of toppers on older cakes.... So it has me COMPLETELY thrown for design ideas. I'm doing a cupcake tower that is going to be inside, I'd like to use this topper on a small tiered cake that the couple will bring outside for pics/cake cutting (it really doesn't go with her beachy themed cupcake tower lol). But I have no idea how to decorate the cake. Ideas anyone? It's completely up to me, the bride is very trusting! I should probably mention she's a very good friend of mine, so the pressure is on since I will be attending the wedding as well.

Do I go old school with some buttercream piping? Or something modern, maybe square offset tiers? Eek, I've never been this confused over a cake.

4 replies
evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:53am
post #2 of 5

Is there any way you could post a pic of the topper?, i think this would be easier to imagine

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

i would keep it simple so as not to be too overpowering of her beach theme cup cakes, how about something like the wedding cake in my photos with just hearts round the side to go with the hearts on the topper, not very creative i know but its an idea

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

I love your sparkly hearts patjobes! I was going to suggest royal icing transfers as the border using dots to make the hearts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%