Icing With A Sheen/aussie Equivalent Of Corn Syrup?

Baking By ChelleW Updated 10 Feb 2013 , 1:36pm by cazza1

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:28am
post #1 of 9

I love the icing that many of you seem to use to decorate your cookies - it has a beautiful sheen to it and is really smooth! Does anyone have a recipe that they would be kind enough to share?

I have seen one with corn syrup but I am unsure if I can get that here in Australia?

8 replies
Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:26am
post #2 of 9

I think corn syrup maybe available from usa foods in melbourne, they are online. Sometimes its in the supermarket but i've never seen it myself.

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:05am
post #3 of 9

Corn syrup is liquid glucose made from maize. In the uk we can get liquid glucose in most supermarkets since corn syrup is supposed to be colourless and flavourless I can't see that it matters if the start material is maize or beets or tatties. Hth

Yours aye
Puss

Laulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laulie Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:09am
post #4 of 9

Corn syrup is quite different to liquid glucose. I tried to substitute liquid glucose for corn syrup once and it did not work. I was able to get corn syrup from my local cake decorating shop in Mlebourne. USA foods does have it too.

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:43am
post #5 of 9

Could it be that it is high fructose corn syrup that is used then ? because a number of sites online say that whilst you can replace corn syrup with glucose or even a simple sugar syrup, that HFCS can't be substituted the same way due to the fructose changing the way it behaves.

Yours in confusion

Puss

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 9

Lyles Golden Syrup can be used just like American corn syrup

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much I only just found these replies! icon_smile.gif

Jaydeepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaydeepie Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:44am
post #8 of 9

I just found some today, if you are in the eastern suburbs of Victoria there is a health food store near Baker's Delight in Eastland shopping centre, it was $8.70 for the bottle compared to $16.00 off eBay!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

Check out your local IGA supermarket.  I can buy both light and dark corn syrup at mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%