Trying Not To Panic..my Cake Pan Is Touching The Wall

Baking By mommachris Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm by costumeczar

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 53

I measured the width of my oven before I ordered the 16 in pan.
It was big enough, but when I just now put it in the oven the door seems to be resting up against the edge of the pan. icon_eek.gif

Am I about to ruin four cake mixes worth of batter?

I'm getting that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. This is for a wedding on Saturday and I really don't know where else I can bake this whopper of layer.

Any advise?

mommachris

52 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 53

I hope it fits! Maybe you have a friend who has a bigger oven that you can borrow? Good luck!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 53

It will be fine. I cram my oven so full of pans sometimes I can barely close the door. Once I even took a pan and balanced it on two other pans because there wasn't room to put it on its own rack. I've even taken cakes that were almost done but not quite and turned them sideways propped up against the side of the oven to finish baking so that I could put more pans in.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It will be fine. I cram my oven so full of pans sometimes I can barely close the door. Once I even took a pan and balanced it on two other pans because there wasn't room to put it on its own rack. I've even taken cakes that were almost done but not quite and turned them sideways propped up against the side of the oven to finish baking so that I could put more pans in.

WOW!!! icon_eek.gif You have just absolutely opened my eyes to a completely new world of possibilities, costumeczar ... fabulous to know! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 53
Quote:

This made me laugh out loud icon_biggrin.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 53
Quote:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I would have LOVED to walk into your kitchen just as your cake pans were doing gymnastics in the oven LOL!!!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:41am
post #7 of 53

Too funny. icon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:

This made me laugh out loud icon_biggrin.gif

OMG that is so funny! I can actually picture this. And the layer survived? lmao.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #9 of 53

I'm fairly certain she's pulling your leg! lol

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:03am
post #10 of 53

The biggest pan I own is an 18" and when my DH remodeled my kitchen and I got a new stove, I took the pan with me! The salesmen thought I was crazy, but let me tell ya, it's a pain in the butt to find a home oven that the pan fits into. Find one I did though.

My other biggest challenge was to find one that had flat racks! I didn't want one where the back edge of the rack angled up a bit to keep stuff from falling off the back side (as if you could or would push something small enough to fall off that far back in the oven without getting burned)

I feel you pain on this one, I've been there too where the pan has touched the sides or door and although I watched it like a hawk, it was fine.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #11 of 53

Fat Daddio's makes half round pans for 16", 18" and 20" in 2inch and 3 inch deep pans. Luckily my oven will hold a 16" round. Not so with all home ovens. I just checked and you can order them on Amazon's website and get them delivered by Thursday with one day shipping.

costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:21am
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I'm fairly certain she's pulling your leg! lol

Nope...If they're just about set but just need a little more in the middle you can prop them up, they're not going anywhere. I wouldn't do it with a lasagna but a cake pan works just fine.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:30am
post #13 of 53
Quote:

OMG! icon_surprised.gif LOLOLOL! and here I'm babying my one little pan making sure it has "hot air flow" all around it!!! you just opened my eyes to a brand new carefree world!! icon_lol.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:50am
post #14 of 53
Quote:

I love your guts.

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #15 of 53
Quote:

LOL!!! That's too funny! But good to know... I have two ovens that are built into the wall. They are great for baking lots at once but they are a tad on the small side.

costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:21am
post #16 of 53

I don't even grease and flour the sides of the pans, either. I just use liners on the bottom. And I bake at a higher temp so that I can open and close the oven door all the time while I take things in and out. I'M A CAKE REBEL.

costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:27am
post #17 of 53

And I smear butter on my mixing bowl when I make meringue, http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/11/take-that-fat-in-meringue.html

and I don't fear the yolks in meringues either http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/11/egg-yolks-in-meringue.html

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:46am
post #18 of 53

costumeczar...too funny! Very enjoyable reading. I loved picturing your stuffed full oven.
Also, good info on the 1/2 circles by fatdadio. I didn't know about them

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 53
Quote:

YOU'RE AWESOME! icon_smile.gif I'm way to scared to try anything like that, but I like your style!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

I don't fear the yolks in meringues either

Anyone else hearing Blue Oyster Cult right now?

Don't fear the egg yolks...You'll be able to mix...Don't fear the egg yolks...

costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Quote:
Quote:

I don't fear the yolks in meringues either

Anyone else hearing Blue Oyster Cult right now?

Don't fear the egg yolks...You'll be able to mix...Don't fear the egg yolks...

I get more of a Devo "whip it" vibe from meringue talk.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #22 of 53

I actually leave my door open a crack with a heater at the end. It helps circulate the hot air better - its my homemade convection oven icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #23 of 53

The circulation in my oven was really uneven. Now I put a mini all metal fan in there to help with the circulation. I don't know about convection, but it does work wonders. The cord doesn't even hinder the oven door either.

boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #24 of 53

Wow these are all such great ideas,my cakes have been baking uneven lately, you gals may have just solved my problem icon_smile.gif

boomerangbaker Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #25 of 53

Question, if I have to use and extension cord for the fan should I use an indoor one or an outdoor one?
I have the kind we use for outdoor xmas lights, aren't those safer?

I want to try it out and see if it fixes my uneven problem.
I know it's becasue my oven is old but I don't have the money for a new one and this would be great if it works!

cakestyles Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:41am
post #26 of 53

Well if your oven is outdoors than use the outdoor extension cord.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #27 of 53

Frigging geniuses. I bow to you all!

costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #28 of 53

If you're going to use an extension cord in the oven, do you use a heat-resistant one? Where do you get those?

I'd be too nervous to put the fan in the oven. I'd just prop the door open a little and blow the air in that way.

Or maybe hold a blow dryer up to the door...JUST KIDDING! That would be crazy. icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #29 of 53

Yeah, the blow dryer may have hair on it and we wouldn't want to blow hair on our cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

boomerangbaker Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:56am
post #30 of 53

What about cracking the door and putting a space heater by it?
Your right about the cord, it would probably melt.
I was thinking the outdoor cord but those are just water resistant not heat resistant....duh me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%