Pearls Of Wisdom Needed

Decorating By stormy Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 11:56am by boring

stormy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormy Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

I will be making gumpaste pearls and would like to know what is the easiest and fastest way to coat them with pearl dust. Thanks

7 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 8

After you make all the pearls, let them dry a little so that they are hard on the outside. Then in a ziptop bag, add a hand full of pearls, some pearl dust, and a couple drops of vodka. Close bag leaving the air in there, and shake to coat the pearls, dump onto paper towel to continue drying. You should be able to continue to use the pearl dust in the bag to coat additional pearls just by adding a little more vodka.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 8

If you're making them in a pearl mold--by the strand to either leave together or separate--you can put pearl dust in the mold and mold the strand. They come out looking like real pearls. Saves a few steps.

Rae

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

I was asked to do an anniversary cake with pearls... haven't done that before. I would appreciate directing me to instructions on how pearls are done. I assume i can do them way in advance without problems,right?

thanks

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

Rae I can barely pry my pearl mold open much less pait it with dust. Any advice on this?
Melissa

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 8

I read to dust the fondant first before pressing it in.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 8

Well, Melissa--that's a problem, alright!

I haven't encountered it personally, but if I did, I think I'd try to fold open the mold and and pin it open by using those black butterfly clips. I'd dust the mold with the pearl dust, fill it well with fondant, release the clips, press it together, scrape off the excess fondant from the top, and then hold it open again with the clips.

Might work, might not--if you try it, let use know!

Good luck!
Rae

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:56am
post #8 of 8

My pearl mould is also hard to open and I usually get someone else to help me but the bulldog clip sounds great to me, I will try that next time. I also add the petal dust to the mould first. Thanks Rae.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%