Air Bubbles After Refrigerating

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm by jdconcc

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 11:57am
post #1 of 7

After watching Mrs Mudrash's tutorials which are fabulous, I've started refridgerating my cakes after the bc coat and then fondanting. However once I put the fondant on and left them over night (not in fridge) lots of airbubbles appeared icon_sad.gif Should I have let the cakes come to room temp before fondanting? I would assume this negates putting them in the fridge at all? Argh bit stressed but want to find out how to do it properly as the edges are so much better after letting them set in the fridge. Any advice most appreciated, thank you

6 replies
jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 7

I also tried this last weekend....cakes were a beautiful shape, but had some bubble looking places on my fondant...on one tier...the other was fine. I dont know what the difference was. I have attached a pic....it was on the bottom (lilac colored) tier.....any advise from the CC cakers?

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

what are you using to make the fondant stick? if there is any uneven spaces with whatever you are using (even when using water) there is potential for bubbles when the cake comes to room temp.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 7

I left two out over night that were iced and refrigerated one. The one that was refrigerated all night did get airbubbles after putting the fondant on. Before I put fondant on the other two I refrigerated for about a half hour. They took the fondant very nicely and no air bubbles. I'm thinking they may need to settle at room temp for a while with icing on before refrigerated. Or maybe not refrigerated for too long?

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 7

i have found that spraying my buttercream lightly with a water bottle an then applying my fondant and smoothing it out before i refridgerate illiminates alot of the bubble problems.

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 7

I see my attachment didn't work...lol. My problem was different anyway, fondant had like bubble sillouette on the surface.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I got my bc as smooth as poss then put in fridge. Then I brushed all over really carefully with hot water to smooth any imperfections then applied fondant really carefully, the results not airbubbles... I'm so pleased. thank you xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%