How Long Can You Freeze Buttercream?

Decorating By coleslawcat Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 3:05am by ShandraB

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:36am
post #1 of 3

I hate air bubbles and I have read here that the best way to get rid of them is to fill your mixer over the paddle. Sounds good in theory, but that makes a ton of frosting. I don't sell my cakes, it would take me a very long time to get through that much buttercream. How long can I safely freeze it? Any other suggestions to get a super smooth American buttercream?

2 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 3

I love freezing my bc and I swear after a quick re-whip its the smoothest bc ever! I don't know the max freeze time, we fo through ours pretty quickly but I would say you're definitly good for a couple of months. Also, I rarely double recipes, I feel the opposite happens, I get more air bubbles and its more gritty. I like a half full mixer and I whip the crud out of it. Then I let it rest in the bag or fridge it or freeze it. Always re-whip.after fridge and freezer! GL and maybe someone has a more definite time frame lol

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #3 of 3

I have frozen for up to 3 months and it worked fine - I just re-whip it. I love to pull open my freezer and find just the right color already made!

Make sure you mark your packaging with the date. If you are like me, sometimes things get lost in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%