Super White Mmf?

Decorating By sgalvan62 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm by Crazboutcakes

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 13

whats the secret to making mmf super white? mines comes out kinda off white. would like to have it super white to cover a wedding cake. any suggestions would be great!

12 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 13

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to make MMF whiter. Some have suggested that you can add the Wilton white coloring. However, in my experience, that gave the MMF a nasty flavor and changed the texture of the MMF. I would suggest that you try a rolled fondant recipe (Michelle Foster's is fabulous-you can find the recipe on this site). HTH!

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 13

i was taught ages ago to add a drop of blue to your white fondant this makes it look dazzling white although its just an illusion, i guess its like that old blue detergent thing from days of old hth

sgalvan62 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks!.. looking up Michelle now icon_biggrin.gif

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 13

Make sure you don't use vanilla (that will tint it), almond extract is really good for fondant. Just a little though.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 13

i find using fresh marshmallows helps too ... with age, they tend to yellow and get stiff.

sgalvan62 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks ladies so much! icon_biggrin.gif never thought about the vanilla i always use it, ok gonna try it with almond! icon_biggrin.gif and fresh marshmellow of course icon_lol.gif

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjobes

i was taught ages ago to add a drop of blue to your white fondant this makes it look dazzling white although its just an illusion, i guess its like that old blue detergent thing from days of old hth

YES! I've done something similar with craft paint. A teeny bit of violet will make it look whiter!

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 13

My MMF doesn't come out as white as I'd like either. So I bought a bucket of the Satin Ice buttercream fondant for my last cake. In my opinion it was much whiter than mine, tasted better, and was easier to work with!
Also, when I make my own MMF, I was adding my (clear) vanilla to my marshmallow mixture and my hubby and I think that when melting the marshmallows that the cooking was browning the vanilla, thus tinting my fondant. Next batch I'm going to add the vanilla after the melting to see if it helps.

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 13

If you use marshmallow fluff instead of marshmallows, your fondant will be brighter. That along with these other suggestions might get you what you're looking for.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 13

I also find that the more you knead your MMF the whiter it gets. I guess it's like pulling taffy - the incorporated air makes it whiter than the initial color of the melted sugar.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 13

I haven't tried Americolor white, but you can get it and other colors (limit 6) in a super deal for $0.59 each (plus shipping) here:
http://www.preparedpantry.com/americolor-soft-gel-paste-food-coloring-59.aspx

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

I haven't tried Americolor white, but you can get it and other colors (limit 6) in a super deal for $0.59 each (plus shipping) here:
http://www.preparedpantry.com/americolor-soft-gel-paste-food-coloring-59.aspx

I have tried the amicolor white and it works great, don't need alot so a little at a time till you get what your looking for icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%