How Can I Get Fondant To Stick To Itself

Decorating By Johnnie53 Updated 22 Jan 2015 , 5:51am by maybenot

Johnnie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnnie53 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing a baby shower cake and I want to put dots on the cake and sculpt a monkey to go on top. What do I use to make the arms and legs stick. Thanks

10 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 11

If its a sculpture monkey, use toothpicks and a bit of water. The dots just use a drop of water and rub it on the back center of the dot, it will stick. Good Luck!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #3 of 11

Check out the tutorials for fondant monkeys. They should help you with the arms and legs. I make my arms stick w piping gel, but the hands rest on the legs so they don't need structural support. Again, YouTube bc there are a ton of different ways icon_smile.gif GL

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:49am
post #4 of 11

You can also use a bit of shortening on the back of the dots. You will be able to reposition the dots without any trouble if you don't like their position..

Johnnie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnnie53 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:37am
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much. On the you tube they used some sort of eatable glue. So I was not sure.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:51am
post #6 of 11

Edible glue for the monkey, water for the dots.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:20am
post #7 of 11

Edible glue is tylose powder and water.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:26am
post #8 of 11

I've also learned this weekend about using some clear corn syrup ... I just wanted to add to your options in case one doesn't work you have other ideas. All of the above suggestions work great! There has been times when something I've used forever just wouldn't work on that one occasion...

HTH.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:33am
post #9 of 11

I always used water for figures, but I've started using edible glue, I mix gum trag powder with water I think those is the same thing. It makes quite a paste-like stuff and i find it better for heavier things like arms and legs! icon_smile.gif

Munga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munga1 Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 3:31am
post #10 of 11

AWould ganache work? I'm a newbie and working on "buildings" to place vertically around the cake. Would like to use a contrast color for windows on the buildings.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 5:51am
post #11 of 11

For dots on a fondant covered cake, I like to use shortening--can't get water marks that way if you make a mistake and they don't slide.

For dots on a buttercream cake, I use some fresh buttercream on the back of the dot.

For edible fondant toppers, I use dry spaghetti to help attach limbs and either a bit of plain water or gum glue as described above.

Yes, if you're putting a lot of buildings all around a cake, you could certainly slather on some ganache so that the windows would be dark.  It will hold fondant cut outs just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%