People Who Post Photos Sideways

Lounge By ReneeFLL Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 5:40am by Bluehue

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 28

Is it just me or does it also annoy others when people post pictures sideways? Why do they even bother? It looks like the cakes are falling. Everytime I see a sideways cake I expect it to be under the Cake Disasters forum. thumbsdown.gif

27 replies
vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 28

do you mean the photos are actually sideways, or do you mean the photographer slanted the camera? I hate that!

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 28

i love the sideways, angled shots I've seen on here. I think it gives some of the cakes, according to the cake design and style and interesting look/effect. I sometimes try and copy that angled sideways shot myself but I'm no photographer and it always comes out looking a lil cheesy. lol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #4 of 28

It annoys me when people don't take the time to flip their photo. I have to turn my head to check out the cake. So yeah, I'm with ya.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #5 of 28

If it's just that they haven't rotated the photos, not everyone on here is a computer whiz! And I know it gives us the option to rotate photos after uploading them, but not everyone who posts photos here speaks English, maybe they don't understand what the buttons are for.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 28

If they're uploading from a phone they probably don't even realize it's showing up sideways.

I know that's happened to me when I upload to flickr from my phone, it's not until I sign in to my account on my laptop that it shows up sideways.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:21am
post #7 of 28

...or the rotation button doesn't worK!!

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:09am
post #8 of 28

Are you talking about the angle or the actual photo is the wrong way? I love to shoot at an angle myself sometimes to be honest, love it icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:38am
post #9 of 28

I can't stand pictures of cakes that are sideways or on a slant. When I look at a picture of a cake, I want to see what it actually looked like--sitting on a table or countertop. (Along the same idea, I think that camera operators who tilt their cameras on figure skaters or who, even worse, show the skaters shadow on the ice instead of the skater should be sent to "re-education camps!)
Sorry--got OT there.
Cakes: keep pictures of them straight. Thank you.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:29am
post #10 of 28

My cakes, my pics! If I want to angle the camera I will!

Thank you.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:19am
post #11 of 28

Some people take slanted photos due to the light - and what effect they will get -

But then again - i have no idea if your talking about photos in general or the way they are posted on here - a clue would help icon_confused.gif

Each to their own -

Bluehue

roswalters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roswalters Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:00am
post #12 of 28

dont think this topic is worth a post!!

Bluehue Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:20am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswalters

but then you thought - what the heck............
and posted anyway icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Blue

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:41am
post #14 of 28

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to photos that upload completely on their side so that the cake is lying down.

It's just that the person uploading didn't use the "rotate" left/right button to post the photo "right side up", if you will.

The photo obviously isn't meant to be displayed that way since it's a straight on shot of the cake, it's just the person uploading it doesn't know how to or chooses not to turn the photo so it's in the right direction.

KWIM?

ReneeFLL Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 28

I am talking about photos that are laying on their side. The photos where the person doesn't rotate them correctly. Even if someone does not know how to do it you would think that they would ask someone for help.

As for the photos that were taken at an angle, those sometimes are not to my liking. It also depends on how much of an angle it is. Some people really go overboard. If the photographer wants to take them that way then it is up to them. Its the ones that are not rotated correctly that I don't like. Since there are so many beautiful cakes out there I don't even bother to look at the ones laying on their side.

ReneeFLL Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

If they're uploading from a phone they probably don't even realize it's showing up sideways.

I know that's happened to me when I upload to flickr from my phone, it's not until I sign in to my account on my laptop that it shows up sideways.

Can you not go back and edit the photo later? I have never used flicker and I have not posted any photos on CC yet so I don't know.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:05pm
post #17 of 28

Thought I was the only one who was annoyed by this. Could moderators rotate pics? Since this a sight for cake decorators, I prefer straight on pics. Save the creative angles for your website.

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Can you not go back and edit the photo later? I have never used flicker and I have not posted any photos on CC yet so I don't know.

Oh sure, I can edit them. What I meant was that when I upload directly from my phone to Flickr it doesn't appear that the photo isn't turned upright, but when I sign on to Flickr from my laptop I realize that the photo needs to be rotated.

So maybe that is what is happening to some of the photos here. Maybe the people who upload don't even realize that the photo is showing up on it's side.

But, I tend to think that a lot of people just aren't that computer literate and therefore don't even know there's an option to rotate it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 28

Gee....I uploaded my cupcake photo from my phone and sure as shooting it's sideways so figured I'd go in this morning and fix it...but after seeing this thread, I'm leaving it sideways! This had been a horrid week in the news and one would think we have greater things to fret over...but if all it takes to send you into a snit is a sideways picture of a cake then you live in a very pampered world and I'll do my part to shake it up. Peace, love and understanding!!!

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Gee....I uploaded my cupcake photo from my phone and sure as shooting it's sideways so figured I'd go in this morning and fix it...but after seeing this thread, I'm leaving it sideways! This had been a horrid week in the news and one would think we have greater things to fret over...but if all it takes to send you into a snit is a sideways picture of a cake then you live in a very pampered world and I'll do my part to shake it up. Peace, love and understanding!!!

Well said!!

Bluehue Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:06pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

I am talking about photos that are laying on their side. The photos where the person doesn't rotate them correctly. Even if someone does not know how to do it you would think that they would ask someone for help.
Thanks for explaining - but then - if you right click on them yourself you should be able to roate them right way up - yes?
Thats all i do so as to see them correctly....just thought i would mention it - thumbs_up.gif

Blue.

As for the photos that were taken at an angle, those sometimes are not to my liking. It also depends on how much of an angle it is. Some people really go overboard. If the photographer wants to take them that way then it is up to them. Its the ones that are not rotated correctly that I don't like. Since there are so many beautiful cakes out there I don't even bother to look at the ones laying on their side.

markiesjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markiesjules Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

Blue

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ....thanks, I needed the chuckle.... icon_wink.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #23 of 28

I hate, hate, hate pictures that are taken on an angle. I don't think it's usually for artistic effect - it's the only way the picture taker can figure out how to get the whole cake in the frame. Take a step back, Einstein, or turn the camera sideways so the picture is portrait instead of landscape.

cakestyles Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:11pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:

Gee....I uploaded my cupcake photo from my phone and sure as shooting it's sideways so figured I'd go in this morning and fix it...but after seeing this thread, I'm leaving it sideways!

See I was right, phones do upload sideways. Last week my son's band played a local pub and I video taped an entire song on my phone. When I got home and uploaded it to Youtube, it was upside down. lol

Since I can't figure out how to flip the video, I have to flip my laptop so he doesn't look like he's standing on his head playing guitar.

Damn phones, between the spell check inserting words that I don't mean to type and the sideways photos and upside down video...I'm thinking these "smart"phones aren't always so smart.

ReneeFLL Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:32am
post #25 of 28

Gee...not sure how I missed this one.

Quote:

Gee....I uploaded my cupcake photo from my phone and sure as shooting it's sideways so figured I'd go in this morning and fix it...but after seeing this thread, I'm leaving it sideways!

Good for you. I never saw it anyway.

Quote:

This had been a horrid week in the news and one would think we have greater things to fret over...

Isn't almost every week terrible somewhere! Nothing new there.

Quote:

...but if all it takes to send you into a snit is a sideways picture of a cake then you live in a very pampered world and I'll do my part to shake it up.

Trust me. It takes alot more than a sideways photo to upset me and there is NOTHING you can do to get me there! At least my parents taught me not to intentionally try to "shake up" others. Which by the way, I think your comment is a hoot.

Quote:

Peace, love and understanding!!!

So this is how you "understand" when I mention a pet peeve of mine???

Quote:

No license or insurance. Put lead wires in cakes, never wash my hands, cake board<92>s recycled cardboard. No contracts cause I can't read or write. No lawyer cause I'm judgment proof. I bake with old mix boxes found behind Walmart. Now about my question

Obviously you have a few of your own! I still don't like photos that make a cake look like it is a disaster, but to each their own. thumbs_up.gif
I rest my case and am done with this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 7:30am
post #26 of 28

I was having issues uploading pictures last week. When they finally loaded, they were sideways and I was unable to rotate them. I think it's a Cake Central issue, so be kind to those of us with sideways photos!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:29am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

Blue

LOL! icon_confused.gif Exactly! I was thinking something along those lines!

Bluehue Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:40am
post #28 of 28

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%