Fondant Tearing Everytime...

Decorating By Rebirth81 Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 6:02am by SarahL4683

Rebirth81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebirth81 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

Good afternoon everyone. I am having a lot of problems with my fondant tearing and would love for anyone who has mastered this give me advice. I used Wilton for several cakes and always had tearing so I thought I should try a new brand. I bought 4 smaller buckets of Satin Ice and was horribly disappointed. The fondant cracked each and every time I used it. I tried to roll it thin, thick, medium. It didn't matter! My cracks came as I smoothed it down, especially around the middle and bottom of the tier. I don't use cornstarch or powdered sugar, only shortening. I knead it until pliable and even purchased a DVD to get tips. Luckily, most of my cakes have appliques on them and I can cover them up but I really want to be able to cover my cakes without cracks and tears. I usually refrigerate my cakes before covering. Could that be a problem? PLEASE HELP ME... I was thinking of trying FondX brand and see if the tearing is less.

5 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 6

I always have that problem when I use UK brands called Regalice or Covapaste. I would end up in tears because I would get so frustrated. I purchased Jennifer Dontz's DVD so I could use her fondant recipe as Rylan (cake decorator extraordinaire) suggested I give it a try as it's his fondant of choice. It really makes a huge difference!

This is the link to her DVD http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001 (This shows how to make the fondant)

or

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd002 (This one gives you the recipe and directions but doesn't show you in the video how to do it) (I bought this one)

I'm not affiliated with Jennifer Dontz/Sugar Delite's in anyway, I'm just a really happy customer who has been saved a lot of heartache icon_smile.gif

That's the only advice I can give you as I haven't had the opportunity to work with any US brands of fondant as I am in the UK.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 6

You need to let the cake come up to room temperature before you apply the fondant. I wouldn't use shortening for rolling it out,you may be making fondant too greasy which can result in tearing. I use cornstarch and it works great. Have you ever used Marshmallow Fondant before? You need to make it from scratch but it works in my opinion better than regular fondant. Regular Fondant can be stiff. MMF is softer and more elastic. Tastes a lot better too! Hope this helps. Also, if your kitchen is hot or humid it can cause problems too.

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 6

I put my fondant in the microwave for about 7-10 seconds and then knead it until it's super soft and piable. I have heard of people using a bit of glucose and or glycerine and kneading that in as well. Best of luck to you. icon_smile.gif

Rebirth81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebirth81 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:36am
post #5 of 6

Thanks LisaPeps. I am trying to not have to buy anymore DVD's but I will definitely keep that one in mind.

JSKConfections- I have never tried to do it at room temperature. I let my buttercream crust over and then apply my rolled out fondant. I had so many people in my classes, on tv, and DVD's say to avaoid cornstarch but now I am wondering if the shortening is causing the problems? I have a cake to make this week so I am going to try conrnstarch. I have never tried MMF. I am thinking about trying it soon though. I think my kitchen is humid as well. Ughh....

Periperi- I have seen people do this before. I may try it. I am just so eager to master this.

Thanks everyone! I sincerely appreciate it! God bless.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #6 of 6

Do you have a lot of extra fondant hanging over the edge of your cake? If so, the weight could be pulling it down and causing tearing. I also use mmf, love love love it. It took me a little while to perfect it, but now I never use anything else! And I agree, too much crisco can make your fondant too greasy/soft causing it to rip. If it's a little sticky, work in corn starch and that should make it easier to work with. Unfortunately, caking isn't always an exact science. There is usually several reasons why something could be happening...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%