Super Sturdy Buttercream

Baking By Katie0316 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm by theCword

Katie0316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie0316 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I'm looking for foolproof recipes for super sturdy buttercream (preferably not too heavy on the crisco). Because of the heat lately, I've been having major problems with my buttercream softening. I simply need the buttercream to be piped onto a cupcake and for it to stay in its place.

I'm making 100 cupcake favors which will be sitting out indoors for 4 hours.

Thanks!!!!!!

3 replies
mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 4

This is an all crisco recipe (which I know you said you don't prefer) but it's incredibly highly recommended, and I just used it (for the millionth time) last weekend at a Christmas In July picnic and my cupcakes sat in the mid 90's with no problem all afternoon.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
Ingredients

* 1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions

Theres no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the sugar-splash factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 4

Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing is the way to go if you need it to hold up in the heat. Try it....I bet you will like it even though it crisco based.

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 4

I used the same one as mandyloo for my husband's 30th b-day party. It was on a BOAT on a lake in 100 degree weather! They did wonderful!
I also made a cake with a second batch of the same icing but took out some of the crisco and although it stood, it had a wet look to it (sweating?).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%