Key Lime Cake

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 8:13am by scp1127

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a key lime cake and can't decide what to fill it with. I don't want overkill on the key lime flavor. The cake is very flavorful. I was thinking swiss meringue buttercream. I have never made it. I was hoping someone who has can tell me if that would be a good complement to the key lime cake.

thanks!

9 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 10

I don't enjoy SMBC but for my key lime cakes most people order it with the toasted coconut cream cheese butter cream filling - it doesn't take away from the wonderful key lime cake

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 10

That sounds wonderful! Is there a recipe on here for that filling?

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 10

I used this recipe for a wedding cake I did last summer and it received rave reviews from the guests:
Key Lime Curd (I cant remember the source of this recipe!)
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp key lime zest
2/3 c fresh key lime juice
Over low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk continuously for about 8-10 minutes or until it forms a custard. Allow to cool then pour into a jar and refrigerate. The curd will thicken considerably as it cools.
I made it about 10 days in advance and used a key lime BC for the icing.
HTH!

jolle100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolle100 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 10

I made a white chocolate mud cake (Bluehue's recipe) with a white chocolate lime curd and and a cream cheese Italian Meringue buttercream.

I loved the white chocolate and lime together. The cake was a big hit.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 10

Toast coconut flakes in the oven until golden.

Make a standard cream cheese butter cream (8oz. cream cheese, 8oz. butter 2# powdered sugar) dash of salt and flavor with coconut extract

add the coconut flakes

the white chocolate lime curd sounds delish!
I'm thinking a white chocolate buttercream would be tastey too

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:32am
post #7 of 10

I just made my best one yet. But my icing stays the same. It is cream cheese/butter and powdered sugar with Olive Nation key lime extract. I also use about one lime for zest in the icing. I can't say enough good about Olive Nation extracts. I have never found any extract even close to the quality.

jhndavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhndavid Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:16am
post #8 of 10

I fel u gng to prepare the tastiest one at ur first preparation. Am i right.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I just made my best one yet. But my icing stays the same. It is cream cheese/butter and powdered sugar with Olive Nation key lime extract. I also use about one lime for zest in the icing. I can't say enough good about Olive Nation extracts. I have never found any extract even close to the quality.

How do you find their shipping rates? I would love to try some of their extracts!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:13am
post #10 of 10

If you sign up for their emails, they have free shipping specials, 20% off sales, and coupons in the order. I have a little stockpile now, so I wait for the sales. But if I can recall, I think they are very reasonable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%