Cupcake Stand - Buyer Beware

Decorating By crazydoglady Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 11:30pm by KoryAK

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 25

i purchased an acrylic, 6 tier cupcake stand with hollow support tubes from a company online.

it arrived and 3 of the plates were defective.

i returned it and was charged a restocking fee and was not reimbursed for shipping.

their "customer service" is a nightmare. they do not furnish a phone number and may only be contacted by email or an online operator.

avoid !!!

24 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 25

It would help if you gave a brand name or the company name so that we could avoid.

crazydoglady Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 25

i assumed that cc wouldn't allow me to post the name but it's efavormart.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 25

Do the terms and conditions of the web site indicate that there is a restocking fee and that they don't reimburse return shipping? If not, you may be able to file a dispute with your credit card company and at least get the restocking fee and return shipping cost refunded.

They generally get poor reviews -- especially for the customer service, which explains why their prices are so low.

http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/efavormart-com-el-monte/77296b601aa4df47.html

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:18am
post #5 of 25

Jason_kraft: thanks for the link. Wow, paying a lower price has it's draw backs!
Fedra

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:31am
post #6 of 25

I have the same stand from the same company. I haven't had any trouble contacting them, but that stand is awful so you are better off without it. It's nearly impossible to get assembled straight (get one side looking good, look at the other and it looks topsy turvy!)

I sent them an email telling them I didn't like it (not asking for refund) and asking if they had any suggestions for getting it to work better.... i got an email response saying "I'm sorry this stand takes adjustments like any other stand" WTF??

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:45am
post #7 of 25

I bought my stand from efavormart too, 2 tiers had scratches on them they asked me for pictures & I sent them a couple, they sent me replacements immediately...
But... I also bought flowers from them & they were falling apart like crazy & had oil stains on them, when I asked for a refund they said that I had to return them & then they will refund me the money... after fighting with them for about a month... They blocked my PC so I can no longer chat with them online plus they wouldn't give me a phone number to call them...terrible service
I also searched for feedback about their site & saw hundreds of complaints... But I guess it was too late icon_sad.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:58am
post #8 of 25

efavormart is absolutely horrible!!!! Stay away from them. I had ordered Sweet 16 favors from them with no problem, which is why I went back to them when I was looking for an acrylic cupcake stand. This was the worst purchase I have ever made. The plates were warped & it's a total disaster. Customer service was a nightmare & my issue was never resolved. Since so many of us have the same complaint I wonder if we can file a formal complaint with the BBB or somewhere like that to stop them from selling that stupid stand to customers. I thought mine was an isolated incident, but now I see that it is not.

Cupcations Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #9 of 25

Lol I just sent them a link for this thread...
Maybe they will learn something out of it...
I'll keep you posted "if" they reply... which I doubt it

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:21am
post #10 of 25

The BBB will probably be a waste of time, the company's reputation is already trashed so they probably won't care about negative BBB reports. The only thing they will pay attention to is a credit card dispute, since losing the dispute costs them money directly.

crazydoglady Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:25am
post #11 of 25

good idea cupcations but you are right, they probably won't respond. my experience over the last few weeks is that they don't give a rat's tushy about quality or customer service.

they have a nice website and the stand looked great in the photo so i started this thread with the hope that others would be aware of the yucko reality.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:43am
post #12 of 25

Oh no! I ordered two of their cupcake stands just late last week after reading about their website and products and great prices on CC. Now they will probably be sending me all of the warped, scratched and broken ones that have been returned to them. This is very disturbing.

I guess I will just have to see what I receive. booo hoooo

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #13 of 25

Yep, I bought a stand from them too... It was sooooo wobbly, The wedding was outside and a little windy and I ended up having to do it in 2 pieces to get it to stand... then when the bride returned it, every plate had dozens of little cracks inside the plastic. I normally would have charged the bride for this, but realized that really, the thing was a piece of junk and it wasn't her fault- I think it cracked from the weight of the cupcakes. icon_confused.gif At least it didn't fall over in the middle of her wedding!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:14am
post #14 of 25

OK, I sent them a request to cancel my order. I will see if I get a reply back from them tomorrow. According to their tracking it is supposed to be delivered to me on Wednesday. Maybe it is still sitting ready for UPS to pick it up. I can only hope they will cancel per my request.

WISH ME LUCK!!! icon_cry.gif

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:03am
post #15 of 25

Wow thanks for posting this, I have been looking at cake stands and have looked at that website several times. I know better that to order from them now!!!!

Cupcations Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:58am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

Oh no! I ordered two of their cupcake stands just late last week after reading about their website and products and great prices on CC. Now they will probably be sending me all of the warped, scratched and broken ones that have been returned to them. This is very disturbing.

I guess I will just have to see what I receive. booo hoooo

cblupe I have the stand & in IMO its not that bad, I use a leveler when I assemble it just to make sure its all straight... Iv been using it since April & so far I love it

KoryAK Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 25

The problem I was having is I can get one tier level, but then the pressure from putting the next tier on messed up the bottom one(s)... how are you avoiding this?

crazydoglady Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:44am
post #18 of 25

the problem i had when i received the stand was that some of the openings on the plates where the pillars fit in were too large so the pillars were loose.
this added to the fact that the plates were warped made the entire thing unstable.
my sister and i both tried to figure a way to salvage it as i was in a time crunch and wanted it to work but it clearly wasn't going to be okay.
dealing with these people afterward has added insult to injury.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #19 of 25

Qh Wow, thanks! I had one of those stands in my shopping cart a couple of hours ago, but didn't go thru with the purchase, only because I couldn't ship it here fast enough for a reasonable price.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #20 of 25

I wasted my money on this stand too after someone on here suggesting it icon_sad.gif I took it out when it arrived excited to set it up and it was horrible. No way no how would I ever concider using it for a wedding...I am pretty sure it won't even hold a top cutting cake safely. I ended up buying another one on ebay from a company in Korea. WOW! What a difference, great quality and it arrived here in 4 days! I couldn't believe it. Was a little more money...but I feel safe using it for my clients.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:58am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcecakes

then when the bride returned it, every plate had dozens of little cracks inside the plastic.

Those little cracks were less likely due to weakness and more likely created when someone put them in their dishwasher and left them in during the heating/drying cycle. That's one of the things that happens to acrylic. It can develop tiny cracks and gets cloudy. I had some beautiful acrylic cups that did the same thing. Hard lesson.

Sandy

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:25am
post #22 of 25

If I was a betting gal I would say the one I received wasn't even acrylic...just regular plastic.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:57am
post #23 of 25

I was about to buy that cupcake stand and even a silver cake plateau from that company a few months ago. The Prices seemed great. But luckily I started reading the reviews. Oh my, there were 100's of really bad complaints/reviews. I know some people get lucky and their items are fine, but it seemed like it was going to be a huge gamble with your money to buy anything from them. And the fact that they have no contact information except email right away screams buyer beware!

crazydoglady Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:11pm
post #24 of 25

i agree with kathie-d, the one i got was a cheap, brittle plastic.

KoryAK Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 25

The stand I bought to replace the s&&t ones from efavormart came from weddingfads. com and I love them! Great combo of price and quality.

http://www. weddingfads.com/Cupcake-Tree-Stands_c3.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%