Freezing Filling

Baking By SPODN Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm by SPODN

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 5

Can I freeze a cake with pudding filling? I want to fill the cake and dirty ice it then freeze. Using it for a cake decorating class and would like it firmly frozen while decorating but also want the kids to enjoy it afterward. icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks
Sandi

4 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

The truth is, you can freeze almost anything. The problem is quality afterward.

Dairy seems to suffer the most from a freeze/thaw process. It tends to break down and can become grainy and watery at the same time. It will still be completely edible. The kids may not even notice.

Fresh fruit also suffers the same fate in a freeze/thaw situation. While the fruit will be good and edible, the consistency will be different as the structure of the fruit often fails in the process.

That said, depending on the pudding filling, it may survive quite well in this situation. Know that and moisture in the pudding that comes out as a result of the thawing will be absorbed by the cake. I would try it.

SPODN Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

So if dairy doesn't freeze well then my butter cream is at risk as well. Is that correct?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 5

I've never had problems freezing/thawing buttercream. But as matthewkyrankelly stated above, fruit fillings and pudding fillings may change texture after they thaw. Kids might not notice the grainy/watery texture, but most everyone else will know something is different.

SPODN Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 5

I guess I put this in the wrong forum didn't I? Oooops . How about Mousse for freezing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%