How Come They Refrigerate Fondant On Tv??

Decorating By cupcakefrost Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm by cupcakefrost

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 9

They cover cakes and put in fridge on TV, already decorated! When i do that, the fondant condensates after i take it out, and all the decorations kind of melt, or the color bleeds! what gives?? do they use a special fondant or have special temp controls?

8 replies
Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 9

Can't help there, but I did wonder the same thing when I watched my latest Food Network challenge episode icon_lol.gif

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

I always put mine in the fridge. I think it depends on your fridgerator. I have never had a problem.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 9

i use the marshmallow fondant recipe from here the one on the tutorial and i always refrigerate my cakes. the only time they will sweat is if they have too much shortening if you only use enough to cover your surface and your hands it will work perfectly! I also mix my fondant with modeling chocolate works even better.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 9

I put my fondant cakes in the fridge, but as recommened in the thread below, I box the cake and saran wrap it to help with the condensation. Then take the cake out when needed and allow to come to room temp in the box, without touching the cake.

This thread on the same topic is very helpful.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-721168-.html&sid=e66f91e421ef3ba41bcc0f5225eb03f2

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know whether I'm just lucky but I also use the MMF recipie from this site and put my cakes in the fridge overnight, in their box and have no trouble with melting or discoloration. I also make sure there is plenty of time for condensation, if any, to dry naturally!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 9

A lot of it has to do with the weather where you are.

The higher humidity areas have to deal more with condensation. Some areas don't have a lot of humidity and it isn't as bad.

In my area today, my insulated cup once again has sweat on the outside of it. It doesn't happen all the time, but on days were it is super duper humid it days. I've been to AZ in the summer where you can pull a bottle of water out of the fridge and it stays dry. Here, that's wishful thinking, it starts sweating about two seconds after it is out of there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 9

Commercial refrigerators normally have a means to control the humidity inside the fridge. Your home fridge doesn't have this feature. Cool and dry is good.

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%