Dog Tags... Any Suggestions?

Decorating By SammieB Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 1:15am by SammieB

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 8

I've got a baby shower cake coming up for an army wife, and on top of the cake she wants dog tags with the baby's name on them. The actual tag portion is no problem, but since this is going on a 6" round they aren't exactly going to be huge. Any suggestions on how to do the chain? Right now All I've got is making tons of tiny little balls and threading them with a needle and string, kind of like a candy necklace. Of course that means not crushing them in my fingers while threading too. I've also thought about rolling a really thin rope, then using some tools to shape it from there. I'm just not sure about this one...

7 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 8

Country Kitchen has a silcone bead maker...it come I believe in a 1/8 bead...you might try that. I did a whistle and just used silver string beads....just remove them before cutting.

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 8

Have you thought about making them bigger and using the edible pearl things? Also what about using like a tip 1 and making them out of buttercrean or royal icing. Iknoow that would be a pain but those are my thoughts.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 8

I used dragees on cake I did with dog tags recently. I just piped a little royal at a time and placed them on there...it came out great. Hopefully the link below will work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=213712962003844&set=pu.196640680377739&type=1&theater

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

I did mine the hard way. I used grey gumpaste, I think or 50:50 blend. I used a tip 6 and rolled them individually. I glued them together and pinted them silver.

I had all the information necessary in my dog tag, I just engraved it. I just erased the other info for internet posting of the picture.

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 8

The dogtag is in my pictures. It came out great. I dont know how to attach a picture.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8

I used those little silver non peril candy decorations. Pipe a small line of frosting and add the silver candies. This helps keep them from rolling around. http://allrecipes.com/cook/13754506/Photo.aspx?photoID=218314

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:15am
post #8 of 8

And this is why I turn to you guys! Thank you so much for all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%