Help..

Decorating By MamaCow Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm by divinecc

MamaCow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaCow Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:26am
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone... I was wondering if anyone knows how far in advance I can make a cake filled with fresh strawberries before it starts to break down.

Thanks in advance for your help! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 17

Beyond not very long Im not much help but fresh strawberries normally only last for me a few days in the fridge and only about 24hrs out of it.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 17

Not very long at all, and dont dare put them in a layered cake w/o buttercream beneath them. they'll make your cake break down quick

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 17

Strawberries & whipped cream used as filling between layers will last 2 days (no buttercream though - it breaks down the whipped cream)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 17

I make a strawberry torte that I use strawberry pie glaze on the cake, put the whipped cream on that, then the strawberries. I do about 6 layers of this and it holds up in the fridge for about 2 days.

MBCOMER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBCOMER Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 17

Put a little lemon juice on the strawberries before you put them in your filling, other wise they can get slimy and rot pretty quickly.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 17

You can make all the other components (including strawberry filling) ahead of time but then add fresh RIPE strawberries early morning or a few hours before delivery.

TIP: pat dry the fruit you will decorate with on top. Gently brush with a pastry brush some melted but cool apricot or other clear jelly. Looks beautiful. I also leave on the green leaves if they are in good shape.

I think I have examples in my photos...

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 17

Okay, so fresh strawberries can be put in a cake with whipped cream OR with buttercream? I didn't understand the difference you were talking about (only being able to put the fresh strawberries as a filling in a cake with one or the other). Thanks!

Dizzymaiden Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 17

Amber- it does not matter if you use whipped cream (but make sure you use a stabilizer like Oetker, Whip It Stabilizer for Whipping Cream) or buttercream.

The trick to me is make the slices all even and dry. If fruit is going in layers, take off the bottom and top and core the middle. When the cake is sliced it makes for a pretty presentation. Otherwise the cake gets all uneven and looks sloppy.

For the top just make sure the fruit is dry on the bottom so it won't leech into cake. I always pat dry and then dab a bit of melted (but cool) jam on top for shine.

Does this make sense?

Dizzymaiden Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 17

oh...yes, you can put a dam of buttercream to prevent the jam, cream and fruit from leaking out the sides.

Amber0508 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 17

Dizzy - are you talking about coring the strawberries, or coring the cake (so the strawberries nest in it)?

I think you mean making the strawberry slices perfectly flat and in a single layer - is that correct?

Also, do you do a layer of BC, strawberries, more BC - so the strawberries are sandwiched, or put the strawberries directly onto the cake?

Thanks, Dizzy -sorry for the silly questions, this is my first time putting fresh fruit in a cake (can you tell?), and I appreciate the advice so much!

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 17

I just made a cake with strawberries last weekend, and it was cake, simple syrup, strawberry whipped cream, diced strawberries on top, then cake. I didn't serve it until the next evening, and it still tasted delicious!

Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 17

I love being able to help - there are no silly questions! I core the strawberries if they are not really ripe. But if they are super ripe and red then you can use the whole fruit. I do slice them as even and flat as possible.

I level off the top and use simple syrup to wet the cake. I then put down some jam or bc. I put the fruit on top - it is hard to get bc to smooth over fruit-but you might have luck. I like the idea of sandwiching the fruit between bc. I make so many of these cakes-popular.

TIP: make simple syrup with a tablespoon or two of cherry brandy. let it cool-very nice. Also-use a seedless all fruit jam that has been mixed really good-sometimes I add whipped cream to this for more volume.

Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 17

katj012 - just reminded me that when you let this cake sit overnight it is wonderful. The syrup makes the cake super moist and the other flavors have a chance to marry.

Amber0508 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks so much ladies! I'm working on it now (a combination of all this advice icon_smile.gif ), I'll let you know how it goes!

Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 17

Amber - I would love to know more about your Tiramisu cupcake! I had to peek at your site...very nice.

When you get a chance.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Strawberries & whipped cream used as filling between layers will last 2 days (no buttercream though - it breaks down the whipped cream)

This is great info! A few months ago i had some left over whipped frosting and combined it with my left over BC to top some left over cupcakes and after a few hrs it started breaking down. I wasn't very concerned since they were just for us and they were still yummy but once I read this post a light went off and I realized that's what happened to my BC! Anyways, I love some of the little things I learn on CC! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%