Cupcake Downer -First Disappointed Customer

Baking By pinklatte Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm by saffronica

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 20

I have always made standard size cupcakes for farmer's markets, bake sales, birthdays, parties etc. and people are always happy with them. Well, this lady called me for a dozen. She has never seen my cupcakes before however saw pictures from others and heard from others that they were good, so I dropped them to her. When she saw them she said they were so "tiny" and so small and she was so shocked. She said she expected much bigger cupcakes. I told her they were the standard size sold at the other cupcake stores. Anyway, since it was her first time trying my cupcakes, I decided to be nice an offer her half a dozen cake pops for free on her next order. She called me two days later and said they were the worst cupcakes ever, that they were so "tiny" and dry and not worth it, and everyone hated them so much that she threw away half of them.

The other part of the batch, same exact cupcakes from the same batter (my batter makes around 24-25 cupcakes each) went to another lady who said they loved them and they were all gone by the end of the night. In fact, her friend sent me a message saying they were "sooo good" and wanted some for a birthday.

My friend owns a bake shop and has always been honest with me so I brought over a cupcake from the left over batch and asked how they tasted. I told her they were now a couple days old. She said they tasted good, not dry, and the frosting was delicious.

I don't know what to think and am doubting myself. Makes me wonder if people are just being nice saying they taste good. My friend says that because I offered her half a dozen cake pops for free next time that now she was trying to get back money from me by complaining more. This is a first for me and such a downer. It really makes me doubt my baking abilities.

19 replies
Callmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callmesugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 20

I would say your friend is probably right- the customer just wanted to get her money back. Seems that some people think the louder they complain the more they will get for free. It's never nice to hear negative feedback especially like that, but I would chalk it up to meeting "one of those" people. If you've always had happy customers, repeat business, and referrals, I would think that your product speaks for itself in that sense.
Hope you feel better soon- onward and upward icon_smile.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 20

I'm not sure why she would say they are "tiny" because you didn't give her minis. Maybe she is confused with muffins versus cupcakes but unless she expected jumbo size cupcakes I cannot understand the sizing comment. Since you verified from more than one source that there was nothing wrong with your cupcakes, I think you were being more than generous with your offer to her. I wouldn't let it bother you. Some people have differing tastes when it comes to baked goods. My husband doesn't like Sprinkles (he thinks they are dry!) but that doesn't mean they are a terrible cupcake (I actually think they are very good). icon_smile.gif

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmesugar

Seems that some people think the louder they complain the more they will get for free.

That's because 90% of the time, it is true. =/

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 20

I know how it feels when you're fairly new to business and a customer complains. But if you looked into her complaint and it appeared groundless, you don't need to obsess and drive yourself crazy.

I owned a retail bakery for many years and the first couple of times it happened to me I was thrown into a whirlwind of self-doubt. But after a few years I learned that there's all kinds of customers. Most are truly wonderful while a handful are just cranks - either looking for a freebie, or so miserable in their own lives they need make other people miserable, too.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 20

I don't have anything new to add, I agree with what those others said above. I just wanted to give you {{hugs}}.

Poo on her. icon_smile.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 20

I agree with everyone also, especially Debby...definitely poo on her.

It's kind of funny that we can get a million positive comments and then ONE negative (this one seemingly groundless) causes us to doubt ourselves.

Don't beat yourself up. Some people just suck.

pinklatte Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:59am
post #8 of 20

Oh my gosh, you guys are really the best! Seriously, your kind words have made me feel a ton better. I'm starting to stand a little taller now instead of humped over, lol. Thanks guys! This also makes me want to do even better for the next person out there who wants my cupcakes just to prove that I don't have the "worst" cupcakes out there. That was a quote from her, lol.

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 20

The fact that she called them the "worst" cupcakes ever just adds to the fact she was fishing for a refund or because she just likes to complain... If it was a legit complaint, I dont think someone would be that cold/cruel, they would have tried to been sincere and not make you feel so bad. Some people just like to moan and groan.. Glad you're feeling better!! icon_smile.gif

pinklatte Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:44am
post #10 of 20

Thank you for the support. You are right, her way of complaining was way over the top. I kept thinking to myself "is this for real?"

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 5:07am
post #11 of 20

a lot of people get away with this kind of behavior now days. and now because companies are so easy to bend when they are having an irate customer over a return or trying to get something fixed, they throw a fit and get what they want...I can tell this is definitely what this customer was doing! I've seen it so many times and it's so sad...all these companies are so easy to say "ok and yes".

stick to what you're doing! it's hard when you get that one customer that spoils your day, but if you have the right support then that's who you should listen to...don't let it bother you much longer, she wasn't meant to be a returning customer to begin with icon_wink.gif

pinklatte Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 20

Yes, thank you. With the sound advice from you all, I will not give in and offer her a refund. She truly is not the type of person I want as a return customer.

letterpusher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letterpusher Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 20

I don't care what they say:"The customer is always right". They're not, and its a shame some people complain everywhere they go just to get free stuff or discounts. I once knew a girl like that, when we would go out to eat she always had a bad remark about the food or service or something, and it never failed she got a discount or something free. I was always embarrassed, needless to say I quit going anywhere with her. Just forget about her ignorance and keep doing what you do!!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 20

Weird complaint - too small? Has she ever seen cupcakes at the food store or bakery..they are usually all the same size?

Sounds like someone who never is never happy - thumbsdown.gif

I say - move on from this experience and hopefully you won't get too many of this type of customer.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 20

I worked for a small family franchised quizno's years ago. We had 6 stores, and our owners motto was that the customer is NOT always right, but they are always the customer. I had one customer really trying my patientce, I ran one of the best stores out of our 6, and the second they threw out the customer was always right, I came back with no, they are not, but they are always the customer, and I won't tolerate myself or staff being treated like this, so you do not need to be our customer any longer. 2 weeks later he was back, much better attitude, was kind and polite to my staff icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 20

If you talk to her again and she says they were 'the worst'...you can say truthfully 'I'm certainly glad all my other customers don't feel the way you do or I'd be out of business! I'm sorry you don't like my cupcakes but I'm sure you'll find some other bakery you'll be happy with. Good luck!'

Isn't it funny that you have heard nothing but good things and one negative can actually have you questioning your ability? You just have to remind yourself that you can't please all the people all the time. In fact there are some people you can't please ANY of the time...and this may be one.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 20

I guess she will be the first customer on your "No cake for you" list.

It seems that some people are making the "complain for something free" a life-style game. They are always looking for more and more victories.

-Debbie B.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 20

Yeah, her initial reaction to the cupcakes is a big red flag to me. She was probably hoping you could have just given her a big discount from the get go instead of offering her something free on the next order.

I have a family friend who told me that another local cake store refused to make her anymore cakes and she could not for the life of her figure out why they would be so rude! Well it turns out that she was "disappointed" with 3 cakes in a row they made for her and she had asked for and was given a discount on all 3 of those cakes. Hmmm.... good for that cake shop I say!

Chin up! I felt the same way when I got a negative comment from a customer and I can to CC for some positive feedback. It helps to talk with others in our line of work! I've learned you can't please everyone!

pinklatte Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:23pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks guys! Yes, I told her that these were the standard size cupcakes and the same size sold as the other bakeries and the local stores. I was confused because these cupcakes actually domed really nicely.

When she said they were the "worst" I told her I was surprised because the flavor she bought is the one that usually sells out first.

carmijok, if I ever do see her again, which hopefully I never ever do, and she mentions it, I will say the phrase you gave me "I'm certainly glad all my other customers don't feel the way you do or I'd be out of business! I'm sorry you don't like my cupcakes but I'm sure you'll find some other bakery you'll be happy with. Good luck!"

DebBTX, I like that "No cake for you" list. Haha, she is right there.

love2makecakes, it really does help to have CC to come back to help me keep going. It's a reality check that some people will say anything to get all the freebies and discounts they can get.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #20 of 20

She's probably used to buying her cupcakes at Costco. Those suckers are huge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%