Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By Awent9 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm by cakesbyleila

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking for some tips on making cream cheese frosting that tastes like cream cheese but isn't super gooey. I did search and didn't find much. I am hoping for some more personal tips. Whenever I make cream cheese frosting it is really gooey! I am doing a wedding cake for July 30th and the odds of it being very hot are likely and the wedding reception is outside. The cake itself will be plenty supported, and will probably be 10-8-6, or maybe 12-10-8-6. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you all
Alyssa

7 replies
brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 8

In my opinion, and there are many of those around here, a straight up cream cheese icing is way to soft and gooey for an outdoor wedding in July (I am in Georgia). I go for a buttercream, replacing half the butter with cream cheese and half of the remaining butter amount with a little hi-ratio shortening for stability. It does not taste as delicious as a completely cream cheese icing does, but it is a little more forgiving and much easier to smooth.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. hi-ratio shortening
1 c. cream cheese
6 c. powdered sugar
vanilla
liquid creamer/milk/water for thinning

I am still not sure I would use it for an outdoor wedding though, unless it was under fondant.

Awent9 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

no there will be no fondant... at least i don't think so! the bride and groom are extremely flexible with the decorations on the cake though. i don't really know what i will do. I really appreciate the recipe! if it works in georgia it should work in maine! haha... probably won't get past 90 here!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 8

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 8

I typically whip together 16oz of cream cheese, one stick of butter, 2lbs ps, and vanilla to your desired taste. I've never used shortening with my cream cheese but I could see how that may help keep your frosting firm in the heat. Make sure you whip everything really well to get that greasy texture out of there. If it seems too goey, add more ps.

Awent9 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!!! Anyone work with the butter flavored shortening? I was thinking using that may help with flavor and keep the frosting a bit more stable!

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 8

I've never used butter flavored shortening, but I have heard that cheesecake extract will give you more of a cream cheese flavor (although I haven't tried it yet)

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 8

All of my wedding cakes are done in cream cheese or imbc. I use 3 lbs butter with a dash of vanilla, 6 lbs of cream cheese and 64 cups of powdered sugar. I use a 20 quart hobart though. The higher quality the cream cheese the better. I have never had an issue and I live in Texas but originally from brewer. where in maine are you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%