I Need Help Fast With My Sandcastle Cake!

Decorating By MrsR915 Updated 9 Jul 2011 , 3:39am by soxbelle

MrsR915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsR915 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #1 of 8

I am using crushed Nilla wafers mixed with brown sugar for my sand...but I need to know when I can put it on the frosting! Will it get mushy if I put it on tonight for a party that starts tomorrow at 11 a.m.????

7 replies
Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #2 of 8

I don't see it being too much of a problem to put it on now unless your base icing is especially moist/thin. I suppose it would depend on the icing type you used. If it's buttercream you should be able to add it no problem I would think.

MrsR915 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformergirl

I don't see it being too much of a problem to put it on now unless your base icing is especially moist/thin. I suppose it would depend on the icing type you used. If it's buttercream you should be able to add it no problem I would think.

It's Wilton Vanilla frosting (buttercream recipe but used Vanilla flavoring instead). So Crisco based. It is a thin consistency for frosting the cake...

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:09am
post #4 of 8

Are you covering the entire surface of the cake with the crumbs?

If so and if you use a crusting butter cream, you'll want to put them on before the butter cream crusts or else you'll have a difficult time getting them to adhere to the sides of the cake.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8

ooops we posted about the same time so I didn't see your post.

I would put the crumbs on tonight before that icing crusts.

MrsR915 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:30am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

ooops we posted about the same time so I didn't see your post.

I would put the crumbs on tonight before that icing crusts.

I haven't iced it yet either! I just wanted to make sure the crumbs would be ok overnight before doing any of it! But I have a lot of other things to get done in the morning so if I can get the cake done now that would be great! So you think it will be ok overnight?

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:32am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsR915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformergirl

It's Wilton Vanilla frosting (buttercream recipe but used Vanilla flavoring instead). So Crisco based. It is a thin consistency for frosting the cake...

Like cakestyles said, I would put the crumbs on prior to the cake crusting over.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with it soaking the 'sand' as you have brown sugar in there too. Unless you live in a humid area, it should be fine I think.

soxbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soxbelle Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:39am
post #8 of 8

I have done it before with the Wilton recipe frosting. It will be fine to put the "sand" on tonight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%